4 Replies Latest reply on Nov 27, 2011 8:01 PM by AEnimator Branched from an earlier discussion.

How can I get the direction handles to show up for the Position attribute?

AEnimator

How can I get the direction handles to show up for the Position attribute?

I have CS3 and I did the formentioned test and was able to make the handles work for the scale attribute but they don't seem to show when editing the position values.

*I am in the graph editor looking at the "value graph"

*I select the keys and convert the keys to auto bezier (I also tried the ease in and out buttons)

*It changed the graph the way you might think (no longer linear) however the handles are not showing to edit further.

*I also tried using the "convert vertex tool" (part of the pen tool) and still no luck getting those handles.

*the handles only show up in the speed graph but that does me no good.

Please help!

THANKS 

• 1. Re: Is the manual wrong or am I missing something?
          Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

At the bottom of the graph editor are icons that pop up options for which parameter to edit. Choose Edit Value Graph.

• 2. Re: Is the manual wrong or am I missing something?
            AEnimator Level 1

That's not the issue.  Sorry I might not have been clear:

I am editing the "VALUE GRAPH" but the handles don't show up for the "Position" attribute...only the scale attribute.

How can I get the handles visible for the position attribute in the Edit Value Graph?

THANKS!!

• 3. Re: Is the manual wrong or am I missing something?
              Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I don't have CS3 installed on any of my machines any more but your value graphs for position should look something like this:

Screen Shot 2011-11-27 at 3.09.00 PM.png

There are no handles for position in the Graph editor. You adjust the position curve by editing the motion path in the composition window. Press the G key to bring up the pen tool, then use the modifier keys Crtl/Cmnd and Alt/Option to temporarily switch between select and convert vertex to adjust the paths. Changes will be reflected in the value graphs. You will get editable handles with scale and rotation because these are not spatial properties. Spatial properties, position, Anchor Point, all XY & Z coordinates are edited in the comp window or in the layer window after revealing the properties. IOW, you edit anchor point position paths by opening up the layer window and choosing Anchor Point from the display options.

Screen Shot 2011-11-27 at 3.12.56 PM.png

The Manual isn't wrong. Here's a link to the live docs.

• 4. Re: Is the manual wrong or am I missing something?
                AEnimator Level 1

GREAT!!!

Thanks so much. 

It's too bad its not possible to manipulate the position handles in the graph editor.  Coming from an animation background in 3D programs like MAYA, it would have been a lot easier to manipulate these values in the graph editor. 

OH WELL.  I got it to work with your help. 

THANKS AGAIN!!