6 Replies Latest reply on Dec 15, 2011 9:39 AM by CoolObserver8

Told I need updated pdf viewer but have latest Adobe Reader (10.1.1)

spdsail

I am trying to view a pdf document on a secure website but receive a message stating I need to update my pdf viewer. I am using Adobe Reader 10.1.1. I checked for updates on the Adobe website and learned I have the latest version. Adobe Reader is my default pdf viewer. I am using Mac OS 10.6.8 on an iMac (2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo). The browser I am using is Safari 5.1.1. I received the same message when I tried to access the pdf file on two other Mac computers running 10.6.8 and using Adobe Reader 10.1.1 and Safari 5.1.1. I contacted the company that operates the website and they, of course, told me the problem must be on my end. Any suggestions how I can view and then download the pdf document?

• 1. Re: Told I need updated pdf viewer but have latest Adobe Reader (10.1.1)
          try67 MVP & Adobe Community Professional

Try saving the file locally and the opening it in Reader by going to File - Open.

Maybe you have another PDF viewer on your machine, or some kind of plugin in Safari, that is trying to open the PDF instead of allowing Reader to do so.

• 2. Re: Told I need updated pdf viewer but have latest Adobe Reader (10.1.1)
            spdsail Level 1

The document does not load; ther is nothing for me to view or save. I am not able to download the document to open it with Adobe Reader. At the website I click on a link to view the document and another window opens to display the document. Briefly I see a message that my request is being processed and the information will be shown when finished. Then the window background goes gray for a short interval before turning white again and I receive the following message:

"To view the full contents of this document, you need a later version of the PDF viewer. You can upgrade to the latest version of Adobe Reader from www.adobe.com/products/acrobat/readstep2.html

For further support, go to www.adobe.com/support/products/acrreader.html"

As I mentioned, I set Adobe Reader to be my default for opening pdf documents.I do not see any indication that a Safari plug-in tries to open the document in place of Adobe Reader.

• 3. Re: Told I need updated pdf viewer but have latest Adobe Reader (10.1.1)
              try67 MVP & Adobe Community Professional

Can't you right-click the link and save the file locally?

• 4. Re: Told I need updated pdf viewer but have latest Adobe Reader (10.1.1)
                spdsail Level 1

No, right click (control-click on the Mac) is not an option. Unfortunately, the document I am trying to view and download is a summary of personal account information at the secure website I am visiting. The link on the website does not take me to an existing document but a command (?) to create the information summary and present it in a pdf document for viewing/printing/downloading. When I click on the link I do not see the summary and only see the message that I need to update the pdf viewer. Nothing to right click. The window does have an icon for "downloading" but there is nothing that downloads.

I have not previously had a problem accessing pdf documents if it is a link to an existing document or reference. This situation eems to be unique. The company that operates the website states that they are able to create the summary and view it. They also informed me that no other users have had a problem or difficulty accessing their own summary reports.

• 5. Re: Told I need updated pdf viewer but have latest Adobe Reader (10.1.1)
                  spdsail Level 1

As an experiment I made Preview (the PDF viewer installed on Mac computers) as the default PDF viewer on my computer. I had the same results as when Adobe Reader was the default viewer. That is, the window with the same message appeared with no image of the file I wanted. When I scroll across the bottom of the message window a group of icons appear: zoom in, zoom out, “open PDF in Preview” and “download PDF”. I clicked on the icon that appeared on the window to allow downloading the file – the result was only a download of the message. Oddly, the icon to view the document in Preview also appeared on the window even though it was then the default viewer. I clicked on the “open PDF in Preview” icon and it “opened” another window of the message.

I then reverted back to Adobe Reader as the default PDF viewer. (I restarted the computer – to make sure the selection occurred.) I then tried to access the file and again received the same window and message about needing to update my PDF viewer. On the window I scrolled to see the icon to download the file; clicking the icon again merely downloaded the message window and not the file I need; apparently the file did not exist. Out of curiosity, I then clicked the icon to open the file in Preview and, low and behold, the file I wanted appeared in Preview!?!

I found a solution to my problem, but it is not straightforward. Why was Adobe Reader, when set as the default viewer, not able to show the document? The message I received about the need to update my PDF viewer had links/references to Adobe Reader updates whether I had Adobe Reader or Preview set as the default PDF viewer. To me that suggests the website where I tried to access the file expected the file to be viewed in Adobe Reader. With Preview as the default the file was not accessible. With Adobe Reader as the default the file was not visible to Adobe Reader but was accessible and viewable by Preview?!? Using a two-step process with two different PDF viewers should not be necessary to see a file.

• 6. Re: Told I need updated pdf viewer but have latest Adobe Reader (10.1.1)
                    CoolObserver8

I have this problem periodically.  What works for me frequently, is I copy the address from the page that opens for the download and paste it into another browser window.  Evidently, this bypasses something in the original page that pops up and just goes straight to the PDF file.