5 Replies Latest reply on Nov 28, 2011 12:35 PM by talltim1

Creating 8-up PDF

talltim1 Level 1

Is it possible using an Indesign file, that is 3.5x2 with .125 bleed to dynamicaly create and Indesign file or PDF with multilple instances of the artwork/design? So essentially creating an 8 or 10-up document.

Regards, Tim

• 1. Re: Creating 8-up PDF
          Steve Werner Adobe Community Professional & MVP

It sounds like you're creating a business card layout. Why not just use step and repeat (Edit > Step and Repeat) to create your layout on a letter-size page.

There's also a built-in script to create marks around the cards as I recall.

• 2. Re: Creating 8-up PDF
            Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

When doing business cards I usually make a single card document, then place that in a larger dcoument and use Step and Repeat to create the grid. You can do one instance in the upper left of a full-size page and step and repeat that, so you don't need two files, but it's debatable which way is faster if you need to make a change. Placing the file you edit once in the original and update the links. Duplicating the original in the same file you have to delte the copies, edit, then rebuild the grid.

Placing a file also makes it easy to have multiple different cards in various combinations.

• 3. Re: Creating 8-up PDF
              Steve Werner Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Good suggestion, Peter.

And the script I mentioned is in Application Scripts > JavaScript > CropMarks.jsx

• 4. Re: Creating 8-up PDF
                Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

Yeah, ever since ID started allowing placing of .indd pages I've switched over to doing it that way. I can make a master page for a business card for the whole firm that has the static info, then add pages for each employee and finally place the employee pages as needed on a larger sheet (I actually usually print on tabloid, so I can get up to 20 on a page). I don't bother with crops for the individual cards -- I set up other templates with crops in place on the master for 8, 10, 16 or 20 up, depending on the size sheet and if the card has bleeds, then just drop things into them.

• 5. Re: Creating 8-up PDF
                  talltim1 Level 1

Thanks for those suggestions. Our issue is that we use Indesign server and it needs to be an automated process with an instruction given to the server using what designs we have created already (ie 3.2x2 indd files), rather than a manual step-and-repeat process. I can probably get a script done so the server will open file, increase doc size, step and repeat elements to the required co-ordinates and export to PDF from that, but I just wanted to see was there a more organic "built-in" process I don't know about. It would be handy in general I think for Indesign. Thanks.