10 Replies Latest reply: Nov 29, 2011 11:32 AM by able123 RSS

In Premiere Pro CS5.5 AVI file imports audio only - no video.

bgcat00 Community Member

I've got a file (one of 3) I've been given to create a smaller file (320x480) from.

The (problem) file is an avi file and plays (video and audio) just fine in the native Windows media player. (I'm on Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit) There are no issues of memory or HDisc space.

Video:

MPEG-4

The file is 2:21:29 in length.

720x480

Data rate 1489kbps

Total bitrate 1617kbps

29 frames/second

Audio:

Bit rate 128kbps

Channels 2 (stereo)

Audio sample rate 48 kHz

The file is about 1.6Gb

This is one of 3 I recieved. The other two were of comparable specs (file format, codec, etc.) and similar length (not exactly but one was slightly longer, the other shorter.)

The problem is that this particular file (the other two import perfectly), when imported, only comes in as an audio file. No video imports. The other files import as audio and video. No error message either.

I've imported all kinds of video files in the past with different frame sizes, rates, and aspect ratios, and codecs, yet I've never had one that only imports the audio without the video.

Suggestions?!

• 1. Re: In Premiere Pro CS5.5 AVI file imports audio only - no video.
          Colin Brougham Community Member

Do this:

1. Download the latest 64-bit static build of FFmpeg from here: Zeranoe FFmpeg - Builds
          2. Open the archive; you'll probably need 7-Zip since the archive is a .7z file. Extract the ffmpeg.exe file in the  archive (it's in the "bin" folder) to the folder containing your AVIs.
          3. Create a text document (Notepad is fine) called "avi2mp4.bat" (no quotes) in the same folder as the AVIs, making sure to change the default TXT extension to BAT.
          4. Paste the following into the BAT file:
            @ECHO OFF
            for %%a in (*.avi) do ffmpeg -i "%%a" -vcodec copy -acodec copy -f mp4 -y "%%~na".mp4
          5. Once you save the BAT file, double-click it; your AVIs will be rewrapped to MP4s without any conversion. The MP4s should correctly import into Premiere Pro.

Report any troubles. If it doesn't work, grab MediaInfo and use it to analyze the file; you can use Text mode to copy and paste the results of the file analysis here.

• 2. Re: In Premiere Pro CS5.5 AVI file imports audio only - no video.
            bgcat00 Community Member

Thanks Colin,

but... I tried this and while the process seemed successful (if a tad tedious), to the point of creating an mp4 file that was slightly smaller in size by about 13Mb and that plays perfectly well in Windows Media Player.

However it now doesn't import at all into Premier Pro CS 5.5 now and I get an error (where I got none previously) that says:

File Import Failure

Error Message:

The file has no audio or video streams.

I used Media info for the first round of info. I can attach a txt file if needed. If I do so, should it be of the original avi or the converted mp4 file?

• 3. Re: In Premiere Pro CS5.5 AVI file imports audio only - no video.
              bgcat00 Community Member

Here's the media info on the original avi:

General

Complete name                            : lcn35LE-2.avi

Format                                   : AVI

Format/Info                              : Audio Video Interleave

File size                                : 1.63 GiB

Duration                                 : 2h 24mn

Overall bit rate                         : 1 617 Kbps

Video

ID                                       : 0

Format                                   : MPEG-4 Visual

Format settings, BVOP                    : Yes

Format settings, QPel                    : No

Format settings, GMC                     : No warppoints

Format settings, Matrix                  : Default (H.263)

Codec ID                                 : XVID

Codec ID/Hint                            : XviD

Bit rate                                 : 1 474 Kbps

Width                                    : 720 pixels

Height                                   : 480 pixels

Display aspect ratio                     : 3:2

Frame rate                               : 29.970 fps

Standard                                 : NTSC

Color space                              : YUV

Chroma subsampling                       : 4:2:0

Bit depth                                : 8 bits

Scan type                                : Progressive

Compression mode                         : Lossy

Bits/(Pixel*Frame)                       : 0.142

Stream size                              : 1.49 GiB (91%)

Audio

ID                                       : 1

Format                                   : MPEG Audio

Format version                           : Version 1

Format profile                           : Layer 3

Mode                                     : Joint stereo

Mode extension                           : MS Stereo

Codec ID                                 : 55

Codec ID/Hint                            : MP3

Bit rate mode                            : Constant

Bit rate                                 : 128 Kbps

Channel(s)                               : 2 channels

Sampling rate                            : 48.0 KHz

Compression mode                         : Lossy

Stream size                              : 132 MiB (8%)

Alignment                                : Aligned on interleaves

Interleave, duration                     : 33 ms (1.00 video frame)

Interleave, preload duration             : 408 ms

• 4. Re: In Premiere Pro CS5.5 AVI file imports audio only - no video.
                Community Member

can you split the avi to a small sample and share it? Ive had probs like this and i cant remember exactly what I did..but it had to do with using virtualdub and maybe one other program.. one for the sound file and one for video...sync wasnt an issue but who knows what will happen if you follow this thru.

• 5. Re: In Premiere Pro CS5.5 AVI file imports audio only - no video.
                  bgcat00 Community Member

I can't send out a piece of the file since the NDA I signed prevents it. Besides, since Premeire is the only editing program I have (that I know of) I can't even get it to import to split it.

In case it's of any use, there appears to be no sync errors with the sound when playing it on Windows Media player. The audio is a simple 2 channel stereo stream.

• 6. Re: In Premiere Pro CS5.5 AVI file imports audio only - no video.
                    Community Member

you can split it using virtualdub IIRC.. but if you think a sample of file " type" to fix prob and share is against your secrecy stuff then forget it..anyway, good luck..

• 7. Re: In Premiere Pro CS5.5 AVI file imports audio only - no video.
                      John T Smith MVP

XVID is a delivery format, not an edit format

Find something to convert to DV AVI Type 2 with 16bit 48khz sound

Or, if this is HiDef, a HiDef codec that is meant for editing

• 8. Re: In Premiere Pro CS5.5 AVI file imports audio only - no video.
                        bgcat00 Community Member

This is a standard def (not HD) image. The current audio is 16bit 48kHz. The information in the earlier post is from MediaInfo. Since you recommend 'something to convert to DV AVI Type 2'. What would that 'something' be?

• 9. Re: In Premiere Pro CS5.5 AVI file imports audio only - no video.
                          bgcat00 Community Member

If I clipped a piece out and then blanked out the video (not deleted, but redacted), would that help or would that defeat the purpose? You may not have done work for anyone with an NDA, but it is not something to be taken lightly. Much of my work (and client loyalty) requires the security of nondisclosure more often for IP, but occasionally for govt regulation.

• 10. Re: In Premiere Pro CS5.5 AVI file imports audio only - no video.
                            Community Member

if you split file to small segment for sharing ( to troubleshoot ) DONT do anything to the file except split it. otherwise theres no point IMO.

get virtualdub ( Free )...open your avi... leave everything at the default settings .... use " save as AVI " and rename the file to what you want for testing...( different than your original avi ).

try to import it to editor...see what happens.

xvid is wanky ...is for 'viewing' not editing...but you might get something decent out of virtualdub ( which is a great program even though it is free )

post results

the sync prob wouldnt be until AFTER the export from virtualdub and test how it worked out