7 Replies Latest reply on Nov 30, 2011 6:26 AM by KingHippo

How is this 3D effect done?

mycloc Level 1

Hi,

Just wondering if anyone can tell how the 3D effects is done in the video below around 00:40 -- is it 3D in AE, or does it look like it's done in a 3D program?

• 1. Re: How is this 3D effect done?
          Andrew Yoole MVP & Adobe Community Professional

I'm not seeing a video or link.

• 2. Re: How is this 3D effect done?
            mycloc Level 1

sorry, it must have forgotten to paste, or adobe stripped it out. Let me try again without the www -- here it is:

youtube.com/watch?v=-npzgQq0Gck

• 3. Re: How is this 3D effect done?
              bogiesan Level 4

I don't see anything at 0:40 that indicates the application is use is any different than whaever was used on the rest of the piece.

Could have been done in Afer Effects. Not easily, but all of the artwork seems to be 2D in a 3D space. Well-designed and directed.

• 4. Re: How is this 3D effect done?
                mycloc Level 1

The cubes aren't flat -- the perspective changes and you can see the tops and sides of the cubes if you wait a little bit.

• 5. Re: How is this 3D effect done?
                  bogiesan Level 4

Ah, a misperception.

Cubes are just six flat pieces of 2D artwork assembled in a precomp. Easily done in After Effects.

Watch again and you'll notice there are no curved elements that project or extrude out of 2D. If there are, they may have been assembled in a 3D modeler like Blender (free) and then carefully plopped into the 3D world of AE which is all flat stuff.

Some Photoshop and Illustrator elements can be created out of flat planes and handed upstream to AE, too.

1 person found this helpful
                  • 6. Re: How is this 3D effect done?
                    mycloc Level 1

Thanks -- I was wondering if that was the case -- I just needed someone with eyes with more experience in AE to judge.

• 7. Re: How is this 3D effect done?
                      KingHippo Level 1

In the lower left of the composition panel there is a tiny little button. (jpg attached) It toggles between views. After you click that, you will see some new icons on top of the composition panel. Click the icon that looks like a little 3D cube. This will make the layer a 3d layer after doing this you will notice that under the transform control for that layer there will be new Orientation and rotation controls for your x, y, and z vertices. You will be able to create those cubes in the example movie using solids or shape layers. Create solids or shape layers or use photoshop layers and rotate them to piece together your cubes.Screen shot 2011-11-30 at 9.15.39 AM.jpg