7 Replies Latest reply on Nov 29, 2011 4:39 PM by mikeengles

32 or 64 bit photoshop

mikeengles Level 1

Hello

Is there a way to choose whether Camera Raw opens an image into the 32 or 64 bit versions of Photoshop.

At the moment the default seems to be the 64 bit.

Mike Engles

• 1. Re: 32 or 64 bit photoshop
          Jeff Schewe Level 5

If you have 64-bit turned on in the Get Info for Mac (or have the 64-bit Photoshop open in Windows), launching ACR hosted in Photoshop will open as 64-bit. If you open ACR hosted by Bridge, it'll be 32-bit and either platform. But seriously, you WANT to open in 64-bit...

• 2. Re: 32 or 64 bit photoshop
            Yammer Level 4

If you're talking about Windows default file association, try right-clicking an image, and selecting "open with...", then "choose default program...". You'll need to browse to the 32-bit Photoshop exe file in "C:\Program Files (x86)\Adobe\Adobe Photoshop CS5" or similar.

• 3. Re: 32 or 64 bit photoshop
              Noel Carboni Level 7

I suggest you use the Edit - Preferences... - File Type Associations dialog within Bridge, and for the particular kind of Camera Raw files you have, browse to the Photoshop.exe file you wish to use.  They can be found here on a PC:

64 bit:  C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Photoshop CS5 (64 Bit)\Photoshop.exe

32 bit:  C:\Program Files (x86)\Adobe\Adobe Photoshop CS5\Photoshop.exe

Keep in mind that if Photoshop happens to be already open, it will use THAT one and NOT start a new copy of the other one.

-Noel

• 4. Re: 32 or 64 bit photoshop
                mikeengles Level 1

Hello

Thanks for the replies.

I am using Camera Raw through Bridge and I would like the option of opening in 32 bit as I wished to use 32 bit plugins on the file.

I have no 64 bit plugins that will do the job I needed. Perhaps a right click on the open image button in Camera Raw to choose the file editor.

The long way round is to save the image in 64 bit and then open in 32 bit.

PS  I have tried to reassociate the RAW files with in Windows Explorer to Photoshop 32 bit, but 64 bit seems to be the only option.

I have also tried the Edit preferences in Bridge to reassociate the CR2 files, but that does not work either.

Mike Engles

• 5. Re: 32 or 64 bit photoshop
                  Noel Carboni Level 7

Well I'll be darned.

I'm SURE I found a way to open a file from Bridge into Photoshop CS5 x32 once before, but I just followed my own advice above and I'm now seeing exactly what you're seeing.

I once found and downloaded a nice piece of freeware called FileTypesMan that provides an alternate way to associate things at the Windows Explorer level... 

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/file_types_manager.html

Might be worth a shot.

-Noel

• 6. Re: 32 or 64 bit photoshop
                    ssprengel Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Can’t you just open the 32-bit version of Photoshop, first, and it’ll use that one?

• 7. Re: 32 or 64 bit photoshop
                      mikeengles Level 1

Hello

Thanks for the reply.

I have also come to the same conclusion.

Mike Engles