4 Replies Latest reply on Nov 29, 2011 5:26 AM by John Hawkinson

Indesign CS5.5 v7.5.2 on Mac 10.7.2 Crashing when updating links

Incepiton.co.uk

My first post here, so please be gentle.

I have had a constant problem for a couple of weeks with linked PDF files placed in CS5.5 - whenever I try to update the link it crashes. Yes its variable, it does it for some PDF's/links, but not for others.

I assumed it must be a corrupt something, however as I am not originating the PDF, I cannot change them, I can only open and place them for printing.

The log for interest can be downloaded from www.inception.co.uk/indesign_crash_log.txt

Is there a way of seeing why it crashed (ie a corrupt font or permission etc.)

I have been trying to resolve this for 3 days now, I have done a check on the integrity of the hard drive, I have removed and re-installed the complete adobe suite (with updates), I have recreated the PDF by opening in Acrobat and then exporting it page by page (each page has the same problem), I have re set all my permissions using coctail.

Please help, im ready to destroy my macbook with a big hammer, and they way my mackbook has been so solid over the last couple of years - i fear for the hammer.

Gareth

• 1. Re: Indesign CS5.5 v7.5.2 on Mac 10.7.2 Crashing when updating links
          John Hawkinson Level 5

These problems are rarely easy to debug.

It appears from your crash report:

5   com.adobe.PDFL                     0x216ef8e3 PDDocGetMergedXAPKeywords + 86221

That the problem is in the Adobe PDF Library (not surprising, this is what reads PDF files) when getting "merged XAP keywords," whatever those are.

I believe the XAP: metadata has been superceded by XMP metadata, so this suggests your PDF files have corrupt XMP metadata, or XMP metadata that InDesign cannot deal with.

You might try running some of the preflights and fixups in Acrobat that relate to analysis of XMP metadata,

or simply removing XMP Metadata from the PDF entirely, again in Acrobat.

It sounds like this is a genuine InDesign bug (even if your PDF file was damaged, it should not crash ID!), so you should open a case with Adobe Support and get them to file a bug (http://adobe.com/go/supportportal). Optimistically, such a bug is unlikely to be fixed in time for CS6, so don't expect miracles. Think of it as making sure your bug doesn't hurt other people two years from now.

• 2. Re: Indesign CS5.5 v7.5.2 on Mac 10.7.2 Crashing when updating links
            John Hawkinson Level 5

It appears from your crash report:

5   com.adobe.PDFL                     0x216ef8e3 PDDocGetMergedXAPKeywords + 86221

That the problem is in the Adobe PDF Library (not surprising, this is what reads PDF files) when getting "merged XAP keywords," whatever those are.

In retrospect, the +86221 suggests the symbol name is likely to be inaccurate, so this may have nothing to do with XMP/XAP metadata. Still, a place to start. And I would suggest running the Acrobat preflight checks on your PDF files is a good idea regardless. It may tell you something of use.

• 3. Re: Indesign CS5.5 v7.5.2 on Mac 10.7.2 Crashing when updating links
              Incepiton.co.uk Level 1

John

Thank you for your help and suggestions.

I will raise a ticket with support as I agree, there is clearly a conflict somewhare.

I have found a short term workaround (not perfect but may help someone in a fix) which is to open the PDF in Acrobat and then save it as a PS file, then recreate the PDF from the PS file. A bit messy, but has allowed me to progress with the files that are not perfectly prepared.

Also as I dont originate the PDF's, it a workaround that works without needing to go back to the originator.

Thanks again for your help and suggestions.

Gareth

• 4. Re: Indesign CS5.5 v7.5.2 on Mac 10.7.2 Crashing when updating links
                John Hawkinson Level 5
                I have found a short term workaround (not perfect but may help someone in a fix) which is to open the PDF in Acrobat and then save it as a PS file, then recreate the PDF from the PS file. A bit messy, but has allowed me to progress with the files that are not perfectly prepared.

This is...dangerous. It can often really screw up the PDF file.

Try and see if you can use an Acrobat Preflight (or fixup) to modify your PDF file in a more controlled, safer fashion.