11 Replies Latest reply on Nov 29, 2011 7:58 PM by rtalton

Now how can we contribute to Flex's survival?

Gregory Lafrance Level 6

After seeing others posts on Flex SDK moving to Apache foundation, I now am somewhat encouraged that, like Java and other open source technologies, it may very well survive and thrive.

So can others who have been active in the open source community offer advice on how we who love Flex can increase the chances that it continues to evolve as the best RIA technology?

Do we go to the Apache site and offer to participate in enhancing the SDK, creating docs, etc.?

Can we increase the chances of Flex's survival by creating open source custom components offered to the community for free, to make it easier for people to create apps with Flex?

• 1. Re: Now how can we contribute to Flex's survival?
          drkstr_1 Level 4

I already have 2 patches ready to submit! One of them is a fairly major rework of the broken seeking functionality within a composite effect.

The Flex SDK team is great, but their resources are limited. I bet we will see the technology advance by leaps and bounds once it's in the hands of the community.

I strongly encourage anyone with an interest to get involved.

• 2. Re: Now how can we contribute to Flex's survival?
            Fletchgqc Level 1

Yes it would be fantastic to see a draft timeline of when they expect to have the code under Apache management, to have a website and issue tracker going, etc. Not that we want to put pressure on the people doing this large task - just that we can know the plan and relax.

My guess is that with Flex 4.6 being released today, the plans going forward will follow shortly, at the latest sometime this year I think they'll let us know more.

• 3. Re: Now how can we contribute to Flex's survival?
              VirtualCoder Level 1

I hate to say it but ... I TOLD YOU SO !

The FLEX team is one of the most incompetent and/or missmanaged teams anywhere.  Compared to flash player itself and what it does, Flex is simple stuff and yet they royally messed it up.

• 4. Re: Now how can we contribute to Flex's survival?
                John Hall Level 4

Not taking the bait, but thanks for sharing your opinion. However, since I have nothing available to accomplish similar work right now, I think I'll stick with Flex for the forseeable future, but I'm always willing to change tools when something better suited appears.

• 5. Re: Now how can we contribute to Flex's survival?
                  UbuntuPenguin Level 4

@VirtualCoder,

Where have you been man ?  The forums simply aren't the same without its resident villain.  I try to spice up the town a bit, but no one brings the pain and entertainment like you.

@Fletchgqc

You are so right, it would be great to have some sort of tentative timeline.  While Adobe hasn't had too much success in the PR department lately, I'm sure some of the devs cruise the forum and it wouldn't take too many technical resources to implement, bureacratic resources on the other hand...

• 6. Re: Now how can we contribute to Flex's survival?
                    VirtualCoder Level 1

@UbuntuPenguin

You are still lying to yourself (amonst everyone else).

You must be one of those consultants feeding on Flex slop.

• 7. Re: Now how can we contribute to Flex's survival?
                      John Hall Level 4

@VirtualCoder. Don't want to drag out this discussion, but I'm curious which tools you're planning to use instead of Flex now. I'm investigating complementary skills and am curious what others are doing to cover their bases, were Flex in an opensource environment not to take off.

• 8. Re: Now how can we contribute to Flex's survival?
                        VirtualCoder Level 1

@ John Hull

We are all pretty much in the same boat but here is where the problems are.

Conceptually Adobe Flex is one of the best things going by far. The problem is total missmanagement on Team Flex's part. Instead of learning and even struggling with lesser tools, these broken Flex promises ended up dragging too many of us into a situation where at the end of the long, long day, we have very little to show for it.  Sure, even now nothing compares visually but it's sort of like lots of lipstick on an overbloated pig that is about to be slaudered.

While the Flex-slop-feeding consultants would make you believe that there are no alternatives, funny things is that lots of existing web somehow managed to get built with all the other "inferior" tools. Folks, it does not matter how "flashy" (no pun intended) something looks nor does it matter if you managed to build it in fraction of time IF MOST OF THE REST OF THE WORLD DOES NOT WANT TO BUY IT.  What long term worth is there in having SO MUCH then one day ending up with NOTHING, while everyone else is slopping along.

Everyone, read carefully what I have written and start licking your wounds and stop acting like nothing has changed. 

FLASH PLAYER 15 WILL NEVER BE ! -sad but most likely true.

• 9. Re: Now how can we contribute to Flex's survival?
                          UbuntuPenguin Level 4

@John Hall

I know the question was directed at our high-collar villain VirtualCoder, but I have begun investigating and implementing Sencha Touch to make tablet and phone apps.  I tell you man, one thing I don't miss about Flex with that respect are the build times, just hit reload and you are ready to go. 

I will say that it is kind of disorienting since Flex does so much, for instance, in my pet project, I have to learn Sencha Touch/Javascript, HTML5, DOM model, CSS and I am thinking of using Ruby as a backend.  With Flex, you can just go throw up a BlazeDS service and start hammering away with the Flashbuilder IDE.  One thing I have noticed is that it seems like the documentation is slightly better for Sencha Touch, not that Flex Mobile's documentation was bad, but it was evolving SO fast that many of the online resources weren't applicable to the latest incarnation.  Another thing that I miss is the loss of OO, Sencha has something like it, but nothing that compares to what Flex has to offer.

Just my 2 cents.

• 10. Re: Now how can we contribute to Flex's survival?
                            IRV6969

Where there is heavy demand, there will be supply.   Flex, Flash, and Flash Builder aren't going anywhere any time soon.  Developer tools are A LARGE portion of their sales and will continue to be for years to come.  HTML5/CSS/JS are way behind (see http://blogs.adobe.com/bparadie/ ).  Adobe does not benefit by shiiting on its developers .  It's just bad business for them.  Smile, have a beer, and get back to work.  :>) 

• 11. Re: Now how can we contribute to Flex's survival?
                              rtalton Level 4

One thing that would help to bring about positive change would be to sign this petition. Seriously. No matter what you think about the future of Flex, this guy has a lot to answer for.

http://www.change.org/petitions/adobe-systems-shantanu-narayen-to-step-down-as-ceo