6 Replies Latest reply on Feb 24, 2013 7:24 AM by AStotson33

Update comes up nearly every day?

Robertfreexone53

Lately neary every day that I  boot-up my computer I get a notification that an update is available?

This has only started since I had to replace the hard-disk.

I have never had to update this often in 10 years of so.

Is there something that I should have reset in the Reader or are these updates correct?

thank you.

• 1. Re: Update comes up nearly every day?
          Xircal Level 3

Which version are you using? To determine that, open any PDF and then click Help | About Adobe Reader.

• 2. Re: Update comes up nearly every day?

This is why you don't give every software publisher under the sun free reign to install software on your computer that will constantly check for "updates" and marketing campaigns to push onto your desktop.  Disable auto-update and the problem should go away.

• 3. Re: Update comes up nearly every day?
              Xircal Level 3

Account_to_ask_a_question wrote:

This is why you don't give every software publisher under the sun free reign to install software on your computer that will constantly check for "updates" and marketing campaigns to push onto your desktop.  Disable auto-update and the problem should go away.

I don't agree with you at all. Updates are purely intended to address security issues. For example, see: https://www.adobe.com/support/security/bulletins/apsb11-24.html

Marketing campaigns on the other hand are usually sent to the email address the client used to subscribe. If the user no longer wishes to such info, they can simply unsubscribe.

• 4. Re: Update comes up nearly every day?
                AStotson33

Perhaps the updates are for addressing security issues, but it's by no cooincidence that we have to uncheck the box in order to not install McAfee or whichever other secret programs that they incessantly and nonchalantly attempt to have us install on our systems.  I know better, but this is why I have to clean up so many of my "older" friend's and family member's machines so often; because they don't uncheck the boxes and consequently they now have 8 toolbars added to their browser and 3 "anti-virus" programs running simultaneously.

I expect this out of shifty shareware/freeware programs, but not from a reputable franchise such as Adobe.

• 5. Re: Update comes up nearly every day?
                  Dave Merchant MVP & Adobe Community Professional

None of the partnered software offers in the installers for Adobe Reader and Flash Player are 'secret' - they are very clearly described on the download page.

Both Adobe Reader and Flash Player are completely free (and are the two most popular free programs on the planet), but they cost Adobe millions of dollars to develop and maintain. Most free apps sell screen space for in-product ads, Adobe does not. It makes perfect commercial sense to gain some sponsorship through an installer option, and customers are always able to decline the offer.

• 6. Re: Update comes up nearly every day?
                    AStotson33 Level 1

I agree that they are valid methods of sponsorship but, I think that there's a big difference, ethically, between a check box that is defaulted to 'Yes, please install' and a dialogue box that asks 'would you like to install?'.  The latter requires deliberate action by the end-user instead of chancing that they won't notice.