12 Replies Latest reply on Aug 16, 2006 4:22 PM by Newsgroup_User

Problems Updating Template Pages

vintagegamer Level 1
      Hi there, I recently had a friend help me out with some of the work on my website since it was a very repetitive task. He was taking information from the old site and plugin it into the new template. He had a copy of the entire new sites file structure and he used the new template to create each of the pages. I then took all the files he created from the new template and copied them over to my site.

Now, here is where the problem lies. When I tried updating the staff.dwt template in my sites files structure it didn't update any of the pages. So, I thought it was an easy fix and went to his computer and updated the same template. Upon saving it didn't update any of the pages. It doesn't even pop up the dialogue box to ask to update. Now he might have unchecked "update when template changes" while creating the pages and if that is true is there any way to fix it other than merging that info back into a template?

Thanks for the help
        • 1. Re: Problems Updating Template Pages
          Jamminy
          You might try:
          Modify > Templates > Update current page (or) Update pages....
          • 2. Re: Problems Updating Template Pages
            Level 7
            Where did you put the template files in your new site? Or did you leave
            them in the old site?

--
            Murray --- ICQ 71997575
            Adobe Community Expert
            (If you *MUST* email me, don't LAUGH when you do so!)
            ==================
            http://www.dreamweavermx-templates.com - Template Triage!
            http://www.projectseven.com/go - DW FAQs, Tutorials & Resources
            http://www.dwfaq.com - DW FAQs, Tutorials & Resources
            http://www.macromedia.com/support/search/ - Macromedia (MM) Technotes
            ==================

"vintagegamer" <webforumsuser@macromedia.com> wrote in message
            news:ebvd57$4ft$1@forums.macromedia.com...
            > Hi there, I recently had a friend help me out with some of the work on my
            > website since it was a very repetitive task. He was taking information
            > from the
            > old site and plugin it into the new template. He had a copy of the entire
            > new
            > sites file structure and he used the new template to create each of the
            > pages.
            > I then took all the files he created from the new template and copied them
            > over
            > to my site.
            >
            > Now, here is where the problem lies. When I tried updating the staff.dwt
            > template in my sites files structure it didn't update any of the pages.
            > So, I
            > thought it was an easy fix and went to his computer and updated the same
            > template. Upon saving it didn't update any of the pages. It doesn't even
            > pop up
            > the dialogue box to ask to update. Now he might have unchecked "update
            > when
            > template changes" while creating the pages and if that is true is there
            > any way
            > to fix it other than merging that info back into a template?
            >
            > Thanks for the help
            >

• 3. Re: Problems Updating Template Pages
              vintagegamer Level 1
              All of my templates are located in the Templates folder of the new site. When my buddy edited the files on his computer he stored them in the exact same folders that they are in on my computer.

They show up that they're attached to a template (editable and non-editable regions) but under the modify>templates menu I cannot choose "detach from template".
              • 4. Re: Problems Updating Template Pages
                Level 7
                You can try this simple fix -

Quit DW.

Find this folder -

C:\Documents and Settings\<username>\Application Data\Macromedia\Dreamweaver
                8\Configuration\SiteCache\<sitename>.dws

(these folders are normally hidden - you may have to use Explorer > Tools >
                Folder Options to unhide them)

and delete it.

Restart DW. Works better?

--
                Murray --- ICQ 71997575
                Adobe Community Expert
                ==================
                ==================

news:ebvm3q$f7t$1@forums.macromedia.com...
                > All of my templates are located in the Templates folder of the new site.
                > When
                > my buddy edited the files on his computer he stored them in the exact same
                > folders that they are in on my computer.
                >
                > They show up that they're attached to a template (editable and
                > non-editable
                > regions) but under the modify>templates menu I cannot choose "detach from
                > template".
                >

• 5. Re: Problems Updating Template Pages
                  Level 7
                  Is the Templates folder in the root (top level) of what you've picked for
                  this Local Site Folder?

Look in the Files panel.
                  Is the Templates folder there in the top level?

and- please give a url address to an uploaded child page with this problem-
                  It's slightly possible the path in the html comment at the top of page has
                  been altered somehow.

it should be like this:
                  <!-- InstanceBegin template="/Templates/woodbank_template.dwt"

always starting with a site root relative path, /Templates/

• 6. Re: Problems Updating Template Pages
                    vintagegamer Level 1
                    well, I tried it on both computers and none of the pages appear to be attached to the template still. When I go into the modify>templates menu on both computers I cannot choose "detach from template". That tells me they aren't linked to anything. But, for some reason all the editable regions show up and the non-editable regions are still just that, non-editable.
                    • 7. Re: Problems Updating Template Pages
                      Level 7
                      1) upload the Templates folder.
                      find it in the site, and give a link to the uploaded template.

2) give a link to an example page in the site.

> well, I tried it on both computers and none of the pages appear to be attached
                      > to the template still.

• 8. Re: Problems Updating Template Pages
                        vintagegamer Level 1
                        The server I am using with the site right now does not allow me to access it outside of the local network. The only people who can view the site are the ones inside the local network since the IP to access it is 10.51.0.5. But, I do know that my templates folder is in the root since I have not moved it.

I think the promlem is this line "<!-- InstanceBegin template="/Templates/woodbank_template.dwt" since I didn't find it in the code. Here is a link to a txt file which contains the code from one of the pages made by the template: Sample Page
                        • 9. Re: Problems Updating Template Pages
                          Level 7
                          That page is a template page. It will never work as anything other than a
                          template page.

The way you create child pages from template pages is to use -

FILE | New > Templates > site name > template name > Create

In your case, what you have done is to open the template page, add unique
                          content, and save the template page with an HTML extension (I assume - since
                          your linked file is a .txt file).

--
                          Murray --- ICQ 71997575
                          Adobe Community Expert
                          ==================
                          ==================

news:ebvvqq$q3e$1@forums.macromedia.com...
                          > The server I am using with the site right now does not allow me to access
                          > it
                          > outside of the local network. The only people who can view the site are
                          > the
                          > ones inside the local network since the IP to access it is 10.51.0.5. But,
                          > I do
                          > know that my templates folder is in the root since I have not moved it.
                          >
                          > I think the promlem is this line "<!-- InstanceBegin
                          > template="/Templates/woodbank_template.dwt" since I didn't find it in the
                          > code.
                          > Here is a link to a txt file which contains the code from one of the pages
                          > made
                          > by the template: http://myweb.cableone.net/jmpalmer/stuff/template.txt
                          >

• 10. Re: Problems Updating Template Pages
                            vintagegamer Level 1
                            wow, I don't know how he would have done that to every single page. He's gonna be bummed when he has to go back through and do them all again (about 150 pages).
                            • 11. Re: Problems Updating Template Pages
                              Level 7
                              suggestion- if it's a simple template-
                              compare the html comment syntax between the files you have now, and a file
                              made the proper way

then after making a copy of the current site folder for backup-

select those pages (make sure not to have the Templates folder selected)
                              find and replace in selected files: in source

use find and replace to change the comments from TemplateBegin to
                              InstanceBegin and same for TemplateEnd to InstanceEnd

use find and replace to add the comment giving the template path.
                              find <html>
                              replace:<html><!-- InstanceBegin template="/Templates/FILENAME OF TEMPLATE
                              HERE.dwt" codeOutsideHTMLIsLocked="false" -->

use find and replace to insert the end template comment.
                              find </html>
                              replace:<!-- InstanceEnd --></html>

suggest trying it on one file to double check my quick glance at this.

> wow, I don't know how he would have done that to every single page. He's gonna
                              > be bummed when he has to go back through and do them all again (about 150
                              > pages).

• 12. Re: Problems Updating Template Pages
                                Level 7
                                one more thing--

the person who did this- the workflow they were using- there was nothing
                                preventing them from adding new content in a Locked area of the template.

If they added anything outside of the green "editable boxes, it will be
                                wiped out if you update the template the correct way.