4 Replies Latest reply on Nov 30, 2011 6:03 AM by kbmercer165

Section Headings in an Index

kbmercer165

Hi Friends!

Creating a recipe book and now down to the index.  Instead of having the section headings be: "A, B, C, D, etc.", I'd like them to be the recipe book categories.  These are: "APPETIZERS, BEVERAGES, VEGETABLES, MEATS, etc."  There will not be an alphabetical listing of all the recipes in the book.  Is there a way to not display the alpha letters or a way to change the section headings from the alpha letter to the categories?  Currently using Indesign CS3. 

• 1. Re: Section Headings in an Index
          [Jongware] Most Valuable Participant

kbmercer165 wrote:

There will not be an alphabetical listing of all the recipes in the book.

Isn't that the usual point of having an index?

Anyway, you can but you'll have to re-do the index. Set your "Appetizers" etc. as "Level 1" and insert the appetizer recipes themselves as "Level 2". Re-generate the index, and adjust the Index Level 1 and Index Level 2 styles to fit.

• 2. Re: Section Headings in an Index
            kbmercer165 Level 1

kbmercer165 wrote:

There will not be an alphabetical listing of all the recipes in the book.

Usually, but not this time.

Anyway, you can but you'll have to re-do the index. Set your "Appetizers" etc. as "Level 1" and insert the appetizer recipes themselves as "Level 2". Re-generate the index, and adjust the Index Level 1 and Index Level 2 styles to fit.

I did just that, but the letter "A" is still showing up and under that is Level 1 "Appetizers" and Level 2 the actual recipes...  I want that "A" above appetizers to disappear as well as the "B" and so forth.  I know I can hide the unused topics but don't seem to be able to remove the single letters.

Thank you for your help!

• 3. Re: Section Headings in an Index
              [Jongware] Most Valuable Participant

If you want to regenerate the index a couple of times, you can 'remove' the headings by sneakily hiding them: in their Paragraph Style, set the point size to 0.1, leading to 0, and color to [None]. Hey, no more head(ache)ings!

1 person found this helpful
              • 4. Re: Section Headings in an Index
                kbmercer165 Level 1

Thank you so much for your help! 

I'm new to InDesign and really appreciate all the help I can get!

I feel I've had a DUH moment because the answer for me was right in front of my face!  When I "generate the index" and the dialog box appears, there's a check box to show or hide the section headings.  I hide them and viola!  No A,B,C's!  I was worried that if I hide section headings, I'd be hiding my index level headings, so I wouldn't choose it, but once I did, it put the world spinning in the right way again.!  lol 

Thanks again!