13 Replies Latest reply on Dec 4, 2011 3:00 PM by the_wine_snob

When Should I Render?

MGW of Boulder Level 1

I use Premiere Elements for output of Slide Shows developed in Photoshop Elements.

I have noticed a red line above the Timeline. 

Since I am dealing with over 1,000 photos in the Slide Shows, I don't want to store a lower resolution version of the photos in organizer.  Should I render my project prior to "Share" via DVD or other means?

Also, where do the rendered objects end up and how large are they?

I have never understood "Render" so help on the subject is appreciated.

• 1. Re: When Should I Render?
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

I highly recommend you down-rez those photos to 1000x750 pixels. If you don't, the program will take forever to render your timeline -- or more likely just choke and die.

Ideally you should render whenever you see red lines above the clips on your timeline. Or you can wait until your playback starts to lag or shows reduced playback quality. But do it often and your project will go much more smoothly.

Your rendered video is stored in the Rendered folder, in the same directory as your project file. How large these files are depends on what your project settings are.

• 2. Re: When Should I Render?
            Nash_John Level 3

If you wish only to output the slideshow using Premiere Elements, you do do so without rendering(without removing the red line).

Rendering is used to describe the process of calculating effects in a video editing file to produce final video output. When you place a clip on timeline in PrE and then you apply a effect, red line appears and a render is needed. This in lame language means PrE needs to do some processing to show you every frame of the video with the applied effect.

Whether you render your images or not, the organizer will always store the photos in the original resolution. Remember : Not rendering does not lower resolution.

Rendering is used to see how you final project will look like after you add effects or do any other kind of editing.

When you output you slideshow usin Share, you will get back your good quality slideshow.

Good Luck.

1 person found this helpful
            • 3. Re: When Should I Render?
              Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

I have to disagree, John. Rendering your timeline (by pressing Enter) is a very important part of working with certain types of media, including slides.

By not rendering you're only postponing the inevitable. The photos will eventually be rendered as video (and hence down-rezzed to video resolution), so you will lose the original file's resolution.

Rendering as your working just creates work files so that your work goes more smoothly and the program doesn't choke to death trying to create soft renders for your playback. Particularly if you're working with larger than recommended photos, rendering can save you from a total project crash.

• 4. Re: When Should I Render?
                MGW of Boulder Level 1

Steve,

So, if I render I will use up some disk space but, when I preview and share, things should move faster. 

Also, working with a project file that has been rendered should reduce the potential of a Premiere Elements crash.

• 5. Re: When Should I Render?
                  Nash_John Level 3

Thanks for correcting me Steve, i agree that yes your photos will finally be converted to the resolution you choose for output of your video.

• 6. Re: When Should I Render?
                    the_wine_snob Level 9

For more discussion on Rendering, this ARTICLE might be useful.

For Still Images, this ARTICLE goes into a lot more detail, and also gives steps to automate Scaling in Photoshop, and Photoshop Elements.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 7. Re: When Should I Render?
                      MGW of Boulder Level 1

For my workflow and with PrE 9 (Win 7 Pro), delaying render until I am ready for output may be better.

I build multiple Slide Shows with Organizer Slide Show Editor and transfer them to PrE to consolidate into a single video.  The amount of edit and preview I do within PrE is limited so the delay caused by unrendered objects is not a problem.  Also, PrE does not save the Render between save and reload so, I spend more time waiting on render than it saves me.

My system seems to have enought power to render the entire project when I write to disk.  However, it does take a very long (4 to 5 hours) time to output an eighty minute project.

• 8. Re: When Should I Render?
                        the_wine_snob Level 9

That Render time seems inordinately long to me, but much will depend on your Assets, any Effects added, or adjusted, and your computer.

As an example, I have one Project that is comprised of 3000+ Still Images (all Scaled to the Frame Size of the Project - 720 x 480 in my case), and most have Motion>Position and Motion>Scale (Pan & Zoom) on each. The Timelines (Sequences in PrPro) run up to 1 hour, and to Render one is about 20 mins. max on my workstation (stout, but getting rather long in the tooth now). I have no other Effects, beyond the adjustment of the Fixed Effect>Motion involved.

With some Effects, such as Neat Video, the time to Render goes up exponentially.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 9. Re: When Should I Render?
                          MGW of Boulder Level 1

I expect a long Render time since I am throwing quite a few high resolution photos at PrE. 

• 10. Re: When Should I Render?
                            nealeh Level 5

MGW of Boulder wrote:

I expect a long Render time since I am throwing quite a few high resolution photos at PrE. 

You marked Steve's answer (down-rez the photos) as correct - but your comment suggests you haven't.

Cheers,
                            --
                            Neale
                            Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children

• 11. Re: When Should I Render?
                              MGW of Boulder Level 1

In the context of Steve’s answer, it was a correct answer. 

However, for my workflow, down-rez does not appear the thing to do.

• 12. Re: When Should I Render?
                                nealeh Level 5

Right. The general view (more empirical that scientific) is that PRE down-rez algorithms are not as sophisticated as PSE). So be aware that letting PRE down-rez your stills might produce a worse result than letting PSE do it. If your end-result is not acceptable, try some of your stills pre-processed with PSE and see if they are improved or not.

Cheers,
                                --
                                Neale
                                Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children

• 13. Re: When Should I Render?
                                  the_wine_snob Level 9

I agree completely with Neale. This ARTICLE goes into more detail.

Later in that article, there is discussion on using PrPro CS 5/5.5 to do the Scaling, due to its MPE/CUDA support and improved Scaling algorithms in that program. Those considerations do NOT apply to PrE, as it does not have the MPE/CUDA support, and does NOT have the newer, better Scaling algorithms, that PrPro CS 5/5.5 has.

It seems counter-intuitive that using high-rez images would produce worse results, than Scaling in PS, or PSE, but it does not, plus it increases the processing overhead exponentially.

Good luck,

Hunt