5 Replies Latest reply on Nov 30, 2011 6:18 AM by Salmon23

Quality Degradation from Uncompressed Quicktime to Sequence?

Salmon23

I'm trying to build agency reels for presentation purposes. The source material I'm working with right now are uncompressed quicktime files but the aspect ratios vary between 4:3 and 16:9 depending on the commercials/footage I'm working with. I'm having two basic problems:

1. When I drag my footage into a sequence, it immediately takes a quality hit (most visible in any onscreen titles, or overlayed artwork). It doesn't matter if I manually create the sequence matching the source settings or right-click and "new sequence from clip."

2. I have three sequences (720x480, 720x486 & 1980x1020) each with a clip matching those settings. Unfortunately, when I render the workspace, something gets distorted each time.
      If it's on a 720x480 master, the right side of the 1980x1020 element is clipped. If it's on 1920x1080 master the 720x480 footage is compressed to a small square centered in the screen. As a workaround I've tried exporting each to .264 and then using the exported clips as source. This corrects the aspect ratio issues, but the quality is degraded even further.

If relevant, I'm running a W7 x64 box with a Sandy Bridge Core i7-2600 @ 3.40Ghz, 16GB Ram and a GeForce GTX 560 Ti

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

John in Dallas