4 Replies Latest reply on Nov 30, 2011 7:55 AM by shjaredarj

Stumped!  Auto-numbering

shjaredarj

I am relatively new to InDesign - and have searched and searched for an answer to my question and can't quite seem to make anything work. 

I have created a custom weekly planner that I would like to auto number the weekly dates (see picture - for a partial layout).

Essential based weekly.jpg

I don't mind having separate files for each month - rather than having a complex script or data merge to cover the year.

I have tried a numbered list - but that always wants to insert the date before the day of the week.

Is there a way to do this?

To complicate matters: The gap indicates facing pages - so half of the table is on the opposite page.

Furthermore, what would be the best way to add dates from the prior or next month (for example Sunday and Monday in the jpg are from the prior month).  I don't mind manually adding in these dates but how do I override any auto-numbering.

Finally, I also plan to add a monthly calendar with a simple number in the top left corner.  I figure that a numbered list might work best for this.  Once again, it will span two pages. Is there a better way?

Thanks so much!

• 1. Re: Stumped!  Auto-numbering
          Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

Consider placing a number-list text file into a new set of threaded frames. You'll need four -- 28, 29, 30 and 31 day versions (but you'll only use three of them in any year).

• 2. Re: Stumped!  Auto-numbering
            shjaredarj Level 1

Thanks for your response - but I am not sure how to go about doing what you suggested.  Would you mind giving me a few steps?

• 3. Re: Stumped!  Auto-numbering
              Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

You just need a plain text file that has a list of numbers from 1 to your end number. Each paragraph in the file will contain exactly one number. You can make this quickly for long lists in Excel by auto-filling a column of numbers, then saving as text, but for only 31 I'm not sure that would be any faster than just typing them into an editor. Save 4 copies and delete the end numbers appropriately.

Once you have the list you place it like any other file, using auto-flow to run it through the linked frames on your page. The linked frames for the numbers should be on the master page (override and remove the ones you don't need at the start of each month, but don't override the first frame that will get a number or you'll lose the connection to the rest of the days).

• 4. Re: Stumped!  Auto-numbering
                shjaredarj Level 1

Thank you so much!  I will give that a shot.