5 Replies Latest reply on Nov 30, 2011 2:21 AM by Nash_John

mp4 to video

backallyb

I am using Adobe Elements 8.0 to make a dvd from a panasonic camcorder that records in Mp4 format.  I am running a HP with 3.0 Ghz, 8 GB of ram with a HP BDDVDRW CH20L SCSI DVD,  Windows 7, 64bit. After setting up the video to burn it either locks up, or in other cases runs extremely slow.  I did do the 8.01 update.   A 3.7 GB video was 2% encoded after about 3 hours.  Not real fluent with the program, but shouldn't it run faster than that?  I also have a sony camcorder and it took about 3-4 hours to convert a 15 minute video I could upload to Youtube in a HD format.

Thanks

• 1. Re: mp4 to video
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

Which camcorder are you using? Not all camcorder footage works equally well in Premiere Elements. And video from many pocket camcorders or phones can be very difficult to work with.

Also, when you started your project, which settings did you select? When your project settings match your video specs you won't see red lines above your clips when you add them to your timeline and the program will perform much more efficiently. Do you see red lines above your video clips when you add them to your timeline?

• 2. Re: mp4 to video
            backallyb Level 1

The camera's I used are a Samsung MMC+ digital  (sorry, I think I stated Sony in my original message) for one of my projects, and a Panasonic HDC-SD60 for the project I put on YouTube.  The Samsung records in Mp4, the Panasonic in 1920x1080 avchd.   I did not see any red lines above the video clips.  I will start the project over, what settings do you suggest I use to get the best playback on a DVD?  That won't take the extended time to work?  Also I disabled the power option to have my hard drive sleep, that seemed to lock it up also.

Thanks for the quick response.  My daughter has not downloaded the video off her camera since 2007.  I got about 8 GB of Mp4's to put onto disks for her.

• 3. Re: mp4 to video
              backallyb Level 1

Robert Zimmerman would like to recall the message, "[Premiere Elements] mp4

to video".

• 4. Re: mp4 to video
                backallyb Level 1

Sent a rely, then went back and looked again.  I had sceneline selected, that had no red lines, but when I selected the time line it did have the red lines.  So, what settings should I select?  Are they settings on the camera or in Elements?

<The camera's I used are a Samsung MMC+ digital  (sorry, I think I stated Sony in my original message) for one of my projects, and a Panasonic HDC-SD60 for the project I put on YouTube.  The Samsung records in Mp4, the Panasonic in 1920x1080 avchd.   I <did not see any red lines above the video clips.  I will start the project over, what settings do you suggest I use to get the best playback on a DVD?  That won't take the extended time to work?  Also I disabled the power option to have my hard drive sleep, <that seemed to lock it up also.

Thanks

• 5. Re: mp4 to video
                  Nash_John Level 3

Some of the settings are in cameras and some in Premiere Elements.

You first choose to record from your camera at a particular setting.

And then, when using PrE, when you create a new project you try to match the project settings with the settings of your source clips.

I suggest that you download and install the free utility MediaInfo from the following link:

http://mediainfo.sourceforge.net/en/Download

Open Media Info and drag drop your source files to it.

Notice whether your source video is NTSC or PAL, the fps of your source video, and the resolution of your source video.

Then select a proper project preset according to what you saw in MediaInfo, when creating your new project.

Do this always as selecting proper project preset is very important for your project's success.

Also remeber that when computer go to sleep mode your encoding aslo gets stuck for that time, so do always remeber to turn off sleep mode from control panel when doing long duration burns.

For sharing to YouTube, you can first share your video to your computer and then manually upload it to www.Youtube.com

This will likely give you much better quality.