1 Reply Latest reply on Nov 30, 2011 1:04 PM by SoftWorks.be

How would you tackle this ?

SoftWorks.be

Hey all !

I'm looking into developing a grafical product configurator for the (small) company i work for.

The topic is sheet-metal. What i'd like is to have the user configure the type of sheet-metal the client requested.

I had in mind to start with a 'canvas' that shows the user a base-flange, a flat piece of metal, shown in profile. (just like a long flat rectange)

Starting from this the user would be able to add bends and folds to the ends of the base-flange, each time beeing able to set its angle and lenght of the added edge-flange.

When the piece is rotated, all 'connected' bends and folds would rotate along with it, just as a whole.

sheet-metal.jpg

Adding bends and folds untill happy with the result, this 'draft' would serve as a guide to machine-press this sheet-metal.

It is clear to me that id' have a 'master' object that serves as a 'canvas' of some sorts. The base-flange would be an object that initialises with the canvas on start-up.

Each edgeflange (additional bend) would be a 'child' of the piece it gets attached too. The first edge-flange would be a child of the baseflange, but each additional edge-flange would be a child of the previous one, the one it was connected to.

My question is:

What objects & methods come to mind when you think about solving this ? I'm inclined to use spark components over mx because all the documentation i've gone trough suggest so ?

I was thinking about the BorderContainer as a 'canvas'.

Anybody see any pitfalls that might lie ahead when i tackle this ?

All toughts or advise are more then welcome !

Kinds Regards,

Bert

*EDIT*

Whoops, forgot to mention 2 things

1) this would be compiled into an AIR-app

2) I think this is a prime OOP-example ?

Message was edited by: SoftWorks.be