12 Replies Latest reply on Nov 30, 2011 8:25 AM by Peter Spier

How to force ID not to hyphenate words

Mr. Met Level 3

Is there a way to highlight a para and tell ID not to hyphenate any words? I don't want this globally. Only on the text I highlight as needed.

If it matters, the font I'm using is Adobe Garamond Pro and it's breaking all over the place and I want to force it to keep whole words together.

Along the same lines, is there a way to get good line breaks without putting a soft return everywhere?

Thanks.

• 1. Re: How to force ID not to hyphenate words
          Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

Why not turn off hyphenation in a paragraph style based on the one in use (or do it globally if you like), then apply that? The other way is to set the language to No Language, but you give up spell checking too when you do that.

I prefer to use non-breaking spaces or very judicious application of No Break in place of force line breaks if I need to adjust the line endings. Less chance they'll bite you in later editing.

• 2. Re: How to force ID not to hyphenate words
            MT.Freelance Level 4

Hyphenation: you could try a local overide on the hyphenation using the paragraph panel menu or a paragraph style. UNfortunately, it is not a character style, so it cannot apply to a selection of words within a paragraph.

Line Breaks: if your issue is orphans, you could add a non-breaking space between the last two words. That would force both words to the next line if the last word will not fit.

• 3. Re: How to force ID not to hyphenate words
              Mr. Met Level 3

Thanks. Some fonts play nicer than others but we had already decided on Adobe Garamond. As usual, brain freeze at the end of a long day. Live text and art arrived yesterday and this has to be design and print and in Manhattan on the 5th or 6th at latest.

• 4. Re: How to force ID not to hyphenate words
                MT.Freelance Level 4

Ahh, Peter's response led to testing.

Hyphenation: you can apply the 'No Break' character attribute to force an auto-hyphenated word to not be hyphenated. THAT you CAN assign as a character style (and thus a hotkey) so that you can apply to selected text.

As Peter noted, be careful how you use No Break, or you could end up with whole paragraphs that 'overset' because the entire thing has the No Break attribute applied.

HTH

-mt

Screen shot 2011-11-29 at 4.51.35 PM.png

• 5. Re: How to force ID not to hyphenate words

MT.Freelance wrote:

Hyphenation: you can apply the 'No Break' character attribute to force an auto-hyphenated word to not be hyphenated.

That's the whole point.

• 6. Re: How to force ID not to hyphenate words
                    MT.Freelance Level 4

Yeah, but that is a point I missed as I have only used 'No Break' on a space (instead of inserting a non-breaking space). So, just blindness on my part. 

• 7. Re: How to force ID not to hyphenate words
                      [Jongware] Most Valuable Participant

Mr. Met wrote:

[...] Along the same lines, is there a way to get good line breaks without putting a soft return everywhere?

Allowing for the odd hyphenated word here and there, ID's line breaks are mathematically perfect all along an entire paragraph, i.e., the lines are broken to (a) justify each line, (b) minimize the number of hyphens, and (c) distribute all space evenly across all of the lines. Tampering with any of these options will always decrease the 'goodness' of line breaks.

Mr. Met wrote:

Is there a way to highlight a para and tell ID not to hyphenate any words? I don't want this globally. Only on the text I highlight as needed.

Is there any system to this? You'd allow the first few lines of a paragraph hyphenated, then a couple not, then allow them again? Or is it just some words you don't want hyphenated?

• 8. Re: How to force ID not to hyphenate words
                        rajsiva

use discretonary hypen

• 9. Re: How to force ID not to hyphenate words

rajsiva wrote:

use discretonary hypen

Another valid method. You need to insert the discretionary hyphen at the beginning of the word to prevent a break.

• 10. Re: How to force ID not to hyphenate words
                            [Jongware] Most Valuable Participant

[Jongware] wrote:

Mr. Met wrote: [stuff]

Is there any system to this? You'd allow the first few lines of a paragraph hyphenated, then a couple not, then allow them again? Or is it just some words you don't want hyphenated?

Reason I ask is if it's not just any random word or phrase you don't want to hyphenate, and you're okay with any hyphens on any other place, you could use a GREP style.

For example, to prohibit hyphenating anything resembling a name (an uppercase character followed by some more stuff -- although with the recent influx of iDevices some names will slip through): apply a character style containing "No Break" with this GREP style:

\b\u\w+\b

It's just an example, awaiting your explanation of "some lines may and some lines may not".

• 11. Re: How to force ID not to hyphenate words
                              Mr. Met Level 3

The brochure had a ton of broken words which drive me nuts. A soft return then usually screws up the lines above which also drives me nuts.

• 12. Re: How to force ID not to hyphenate words

Maybe all you want to do is change the hypheantion settings to allow fewer hyphens?