7 Replies Latest reply on Nov 30, 2011 2:15 PM by AtonMusic

OS X Lion is KILLING After Effects

AtonMusic Level 2

Hi....

Are there any immediate plans for a Lion Update of After Effects ?

I am in the midst of upgrading to Lion (7.2) and After Effects is totally erratic there.

Projects with 100+ comps are taking 20 minutes to load, close and save.

The project browser is totally erratic and cant even sort files alphabetically correct.

Besides after renaming a clip or a comp it moves it around and totally confuses the process.

I LOVE AE. And in Snow Leopard it works just fine - I cannot regress any of above problems.

So my question is; should I hold on to Snow Leopard a little longer or are you guys planning an immediate update ?

Thanks

PS - Multi Processing with AE on Lion is a TOTAL no go. Doesn't work.

Adding 30 Comps to the Render Queue with MP enabled does adsolutely nothing when hitting render.

No problems with identical settings on Snow Leopard

• 1. Re: OS X Lion is KILLING After Effects
          traptsoul Level 1

For me Lion seems to work quite fine with After Effects cs5, but then again I havent tried it with 30 + comps, but it's fine with around 15 - 20.

I have yet to upgrade to CS5.5 because honestly I feel like I JUST upgraded to Production Premium CS5 and it just feels like a never ending circle.

But to answer this

So my question is; should I hold on to Snow Leopard a little longer or are you guys planning an immediate update ?

I think CS5.5. is the upgrade, as far as I know it's also the first for AE to support CS5.5 but I might be mistaken.

• 2. Re: OS X Lion is KILLING After Effects
            Dave LaRonde Level 6

AtonMusic wrote:

...should I hold on to Snow Leopard a little longer...

Yes.  Considering Apple's Final Cut Pro X debacle, I wouldn't trust those guys & gals in Cupertino any further than I could throw 'em.  Cripes, people are wondering out loud if Mac Pros could soon be things of the past.  If you have things functioning nicely under Snow Leopard, keep it that way.

If you have a spare machine that can accommodate both Lion and AE 10.5, try clean installs of both the OS and the application(s), and nose around in this forum for Info on Lion.  There's good deal of it.

• 3. Re: OS X Lion is KILLING After Effects
              Dave LaRonde Level 6

You might find this helpful if you haven't seen it yet: http://forums.adobe.com/thread/879748?tstart=0

• 4. Re: OS X Lion is KILLING After Effects
                Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

What version of AE? I just did a project with 200 comps, loaded all into the render cue, then closed. Opened and closed in seconds.

What else is going on with your system? Memory? Graphic Drivers / Open GL? Disk Space? Preferences setup? There's more worng than just Lion.

• 5. Re: OS X Lion is KILLING After Effects
                  Toomany3 Level 1

Dave LaRonde wrote:

Yes.  Considering Apple's Final Cut Pro X debacle, I wouldn't trust those guys & gals in Cupertino any further than I could throw 'em.  Cripes, people are wondering out loud if Mac Pros could soon be things of the past.  If you have things functioning nicely under Snow Leopard, keep it that way.

If you have a spare machine that can accommodate both Lion and AE 10.5, try clean installs of both the OS and the application(s), and nose around in this forum for Info on Lion.  There's good deal of it.

I'm with Dave on this one.  I was really hoping to switch to FCPx for our multi-cam work since Premiere can only handle 4 cameras , which is so ridiculous... but that's for the Premiere forum, I guess.  FCP could handle 64 cameras.  HELLO?!?  But FCPX was anything but Pro.  This just shows the direction Apple wants to go.

Our firm is 100% Adobe now... and soon-to-be 100% PC.  We're 85% there.  I'm done with anything Apple.  Adobe is super stable on PC, so why overpay for a Mac especially when you're not sure if they'll even have MacPros soon.

Don't want to start a Mac vs. PC war.  But Apple seems to have all but entirely lost its love for the pros that helped make Apple great back in the day

• 6. Re: OS X Lion is KILLING After Effects
                    AtonMusic Level 2

Hi Rick,

appreciate you chiming in...

I work in TIFF sequences (8 Bit)

Mac OS X 10.7.2

AE - Latest CS 5.5 (Whole Master Suite Updated to Latest)

FCPx installed

Mac Pro Nehalem 4.1(Firmware)

NVIDIA GTX 285 Graphics - Latest CUDA

32 GB RAM

RAID0 (Internally in Mac) 4 drives configured to to RAID0 ||| ALWAYS freshly formatted before EACH project (Space = 2TB RAID 0)

OpenGL makes no difference - tried all settings (Remember I use the exact same settings as on Snow Leopard for the whole suite)

Preferences (identical to a screaming fast setup in Snow Leopard)

As of now I had to disable MP - AE just wont render large projects with 200+ comps in the queue.

When I open a project with 200 comps I can open activity monitor and click on AE and then on Open Ports and Files....

There I can scroll down to see what AE is currently doing...

It is opening EACH file (Tiff Seq) as it does while importing. Only a whole lot slower...

I am speechless and out of gut...

• 7. Re: OS X Lion is KILLING After Effects
                      AtonMusic Level 2

Toomany3 wrote:

Don't want to start a Mac vs. PC war.  But Apple seems to have all but entirely lost its love for the pros that helped make Apple great back in the day

Funny..

Just spoke to my Mac dealer today and he said quote:

'Apple has lost it... They've gone crazy - I feel like vomitting... They are concentrating solely on iPhone, iPad and selling Bull... software to the masses'

That is really what he said....

Sparked by me asking him whether he thought a new Mac Pro would emerge... He said ' I think Apple is going to actually drop the Mac Pro Line'

He hope they wont but did not sound secure....

If they do that... I am going to PC !