3 Replies Latest reply on Nov 30, 2011 8:46 AM by Mylenium

symbols in AE?

dtrachtman Level 1

I have an animation with speech bubbles that move. In flash I would just make a single speech bubble symbol that includes the text inside it and animate that way. AE doesnt seem to have anything like symbols, does it? Do I have to make the speech bubble shape on one layer and the text on another and then have one be the parent of the other for the movement? And then duplicate those layers over and over? That could get pretty messy. Is there some other approach I am missing? thanks,

Dan

• 1. Re: symbols in AE?
          Dave LaRonde Level 6

dtrachtman wrote:

Do I have to make the speech bubble shape on one layer and the text on another and then have one be the parent of the other for the movement? And then duplicate those layers over and over?

Yes.

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: symbols in AE?
            dtrachtman Level 1

bummer. Kind of surprising such a sophisticated app doesnt have something like symbols which seems so basic. Thanks for your help

• 3. Re: symbols in AE?
              Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

You can animate the text in a million ways, including the source text. No need to create a ton of layers. Likewise, you could even use simple pickwhip expressions to remote-connect your actual text in a pre-comp together with a bubble to another text layer in your working comp. Almost as good as a symbol....

Mylenium

1 person found this helpful