1 Reply Latest reply on Nov 30, 2011 11:21 AM by Dave Merchant

Need basic documentation for Adobe Reader X

Can anyone point me to documentation that will explain what document properties are needed to be able to highlight text in a document?  The document "Adobe_reader_x_help.pdf" does not discuss this at all.  I need to highlight text in an academic document, and all permissions are enabled except Document Asembly, Signing, and Creation of Template Pages.

"Commenting" permission is available, and an ordinary person of a basic level of intelligence would assume that includes highlighting of text. At the same time, "Content Copying" is set to Allowed but I can't seem to do that either, so I am left wondering whether this is an idiotic feature designed by an idiot or merely an idiotic bug.

FWIW Adobe is BEGGING to be slapped with an unfair trade practices class action based on its blatant attempts to leverage its monopoly over the PDF file format into sales of expensive-*** Acrobat just to perform basic features, like highlighting text, that actually WORK without having to purchase a product for hundreds of dollars.

• 1. Re: Need basic documentation for Adobe Reader X
          Dave Merchant MVP & Adobe Community Professional

Adobe Reader X (on the desktop) can highlight text in any PDF file provided it is not directly forbidden by a security setting - so any unsecured PDF can be highlighted, as can any secured PDF with "commenting" allowed in the security properties. Highlights are just another form of comment.

Previous versions of Adobe Reader could not apply highlights without Reader-extended permissions set by Acrobat or LiveCycle, but Adobe decided with version X to allow comments and sticky notes by default.

...and FWIW, the PDF format is an open ISO standard, used by hundreds of software developers besides Adobe. Yes of course the Acrobat Family sets the standard for working with PDF content, as Adobe invented the thing; but they don't have a monopoly by any means except in specific areas of DRM, rich media and very advanced document editing. For example OS X can read and write PDFs natively, but to create files with scripting and interactivity you need a commercial application such as Acrobat.