5 Replies Latest reply on Dec 1, 2011 7:13 AM by Rick Gerard

Exporting Banners from AE to SWF, XFL : Low file size?

traptsoul Level 1

Hi,

I may have to post this in the Flash forum, but anyway, I'm having a huge problem with some banners.

An agency produced 3 banners for my company, 300 x 250, 200 x 200, and 250 x 200. We need to get them localised in 18 languages, so 18 x 3, well... you get the picture.

I'm mainly working in After Effects, and actually this agency produced banners using After Effects.

The assets were as follows:

Text images (all localised for each language) format : PNG

Images (just 2 frames) Format : Originally PSD, i saved to PNG

I managed to localise all banners for all languages, but then came the issue : File size,

we require the banners to be less than 40kb in size, however exporting from After effects to SWF I get around 250kb,

Alternatively I can export from AE to XFL (similair to FLA), then open in flash, and publish (after adding button) I get around 507kb, then after publishing from flash, I get 205kb or so.

How can I get these down to 40kb in SWF or GIF format, high quality, for all 18 languages (without re-creating the images in vector format)?

Please help!

Thanks a lot!

• 1. Re: Exporting Banners from AE to SWF, XFL : Low file size?
          Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

AE is exporting a self-contained JPEG sequence when exporting to SWF. On the other hand it would seem that Flash is simply embedding both PNGs at full size. You may work around that by some trickery with creating a symbol and creating the transparency differently in Flash, but beyond that I don't see much potential. Same for a GIF - if your images contain a lot of colors and fien details, then compression can only do so much. And don't assume that a vector-based banner would necessarily be smaller - it may, it may not. If the text cannot be embedded natively, converting it to outlines would make file size explode just the same...

Mylenium

• 2. Re: Exporting Banners from AE to SWF, XFL : Low file size?
            Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Make sure that the AEP only contains enough frames to complete the banners. To the timing in Flash with action script. I routinely create XFL projets in AE that only contain 4 or 5 frames, then export the XFL and finish up the projects in Flash.

Take the XFL in flash and make sure that the text is coming in as text. If it doesn't fix the AE projects to that it does.

Make sure that the jpgs or pngs are coming into the library only once. If they still give you problems make some new ones and replace the existing ones. They may be importing as movies. This will cause very large file sizes.

The real advantage of using an XFL export from AE is that you can get in the motion paths for the animations. I often replace the objects generated in AE with shapes or images from the flash library.

Lastly, make sure that you're using the best compression settings in Flash for your project.

Some serious discussion needs to take place about workflow. If you're creating that many banners with that many different languages the best idea may be to grab the text from a referenced XML file and do most of the work in Action Script. That way you only create one Flash project per banner, sniff out the language from the browser, load in the right text when the banner loads, and everything is much smoother. The only problem with this approach is that if the server that holds the XML files goes down all of the flash banners all over the web break.

Good luck with the project. It sounds like you've got some serious editing time coming up. I don't see any way to easily automate the process.

• 3. Re: Exporting Banners from AE to SWF, XFL : Low file size?
              traptsoul Level 1

On the other hand it would seem that Flash is simply embedding both PNGs at full size.

This does seem to be the case. Basically flash takes the SWF and imports each frame, Even though if I change the AE comp to be only 5fps, it does not affect the over-all file size.

It doesnt make sense? There are much less frames, yet the file size remains the same.

Make sure that the AEP only contains enough frames to complete the banners.

I'm not sure I understand what is meant here. The banner is 10 seconds long, there are about 3 text slides, and 2 image slides. I adjusted from 15fps to 5 fps and it doesnt affect the file size at all.

Take the XFL in flash and make sure that the text is coming in as text.

Because the texts are rolled out to 18 languages for translations, then sent back to web design, they are PNG's, not text at all. But PNG's from Photoshop

Lastly, make sure that you're using the best compression settings in Flash for your project.

I'm still trying to figure out what that is. When I import the XFL to flash, and change the JPEG compression settings, it doesnt affect the over-all quality or file size. Unless I change the images in the library, but even then, when I change the properties of all the frames in in the library, to "compression - PNG" , and I try go back into the properties of just one of them, it seems that it has been reset back to the way it was.

Is there a way to correctly change the way the PNG's are compressed?

As far as I've noticed the XFL contains each frame as a png in flash's library, which is obviously why its so big. But when I change to 5fps, there is no difference, even though there are less pngs in the library.

• 4. Re: Exporting Banners from AE to SWF, XFL : Low file size?
                Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

As I said, I think Flash leaves the PNGs as is and simply reuses it over and over. No change in file size means that the per-frame images are either instances of the imported data or used as symbols. I'm sure you see that if you inspect the attributes and the timeline.

Mylenium

• 5. Re: Exporting Banners from AE to SWF, XFL : Low file size?
                  Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I still think the best way to do this project is with action script calling external video sources from an xml file with a sniffer. The resulting swf's would be very small, you would have only a few images in the library, and it would be much easier to create the versions required dynamically through xml. The time required to set up the Flash project to work that way is far greater than setting up a banner ad in AE, but the time required to make the hundreds of versions required would be nill because the action script and XML would generate the language appropriate versions automatically from the source files stored on the server.

Without seeing a sample banner it's hard to tell, but I would think that if you copied the motion paths and replaced the library items with a single png file you would be able to reduce the file size to fit the requirements. It's just not going to happen with embedded movies.