2 Replies Latest reply on Nov 30, 2011 2:00 PM by michaelpcaraway

XML import is duplicating xml elements

michaelpcaraway

I have a document which I am importing XML into to create a menu.  The xml is in this format.

<Root>

<Categories>

<Category>

<CategoryName>Black teas from around the world</CategoryName>

<Tea>

<TeaNumber>1</TeaNumber>

<TeaName>Makaibari Estate Organic 1st Flush</TeaName>

<TeaPrice>$5.50</TeaPrice>

<Icons>

<Organic href="file://TeanyOrganic16x16.png"/>

<Bestseller href="file://TeanyBestSeller16x16.png"/>

<Recommended href="file://blank.png"/>

</Icons>

<TeaDescription>From the oldest estate in the Darjeeling district and the first to practice Fair Trade this first flush is harvested in early spring with a slightly lighter color it is mildly flowery and  finishes with notes of Muscat grape.</TeaDescription>

</Tea>

</Tea>
      </Category>

</Categories>

</Root>

There are several categories in the full file and each has a variable number of Tea elements.  When I import this into my document it flows nicely into the document except that it duplicates some Tea elements.  For example, the first category has 23 Tea elements in the xml file.  The second category has only 3 in the xml file.  When I  import that into InDesign the first category has its 23 elements correctly, but second category has the 3 from the xml file plus 20 other elements which are duplicates of my original reference(the one I used to build the document prior to importing the xml file) Tea item.  In fact, every category has been padded with extra duplicates of that same reference Tea element such that each category has 23 Tea elements regardless of what the actual XML file has.

Anyone know why it is duplicating those elements?

• 1. Re: XML import is duplicating xml elements
          John Hawkinson Level 5

Please repost using the Advanced Editor and >> Syntax Highlighting > XML.

The XML in your post was corrupted.

• 2. Re: XML import is duplicating xml elements
            michaelpcaraway Level 1

Reposting.

I have a document which I am importing XML into to create a menu.  The xml is in this format.

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8" standalone="yes"?>
            <Root>
                <Categories>    
                    <Category>
                        <CategoryName>Black teas from around the world</CategoryName>
                        <Tea>
                            <TeaNumber>1</TeaNumber>
                            <TeaName>Makaibari Estate Organic 1st Flush</TeaName>
                            <TeaPrice>$5.50</TeaPrice>
                            <Icons>
                                <Organic href="file:///C:/Users/Michael/Documents/Caraway%20Tea%20Company/information/business%20coorespondence/Teany/TeanyOrganic16x16.png"></Organic>
                                <Bestseller href="file:///C:/Users/Michael/Documents/Caraway%20Tea%20Company/information/business%20coorespondence/Teany/TeanyBestSeller16x16.png"></Bestseller>
                                <Recommended href="file:///C:/Users/Michael/Documents/Caraway%20Tea%20Company/information/business%20coorespondence/Teany/blank.png"></Recommended>
                            </Icons>
                            <TeaDescription>From the oldest estate in the Darjeeling district and the first to practice Fair Trade this first flush is harvested in early spring with a slightly lighter color it is mildly flowery and  finishes with notes of Muscat grape.</TeaDescription>
                        </Tea>
                    </Category>
                </Categories>
            </Root>

There are several categories in the full file and each has a variable number of Tea elements.  When I import this into my document it flows nicely into the document except that it duplicates some Tea elements.  For example, the first category has 23 Tea elements in the xml file.  The second category has only 3 in the xml file.  When I  import that into InDesign the first category has its 23 elements correctly, but second category has the 3 from the xml file plus 20 other elements which are duplicates of my original reference(the one I used to build the document prior to importing the xml file) Tea item.  In fact, every category has been padded with extra duplicates of that same reference Tea element such that each category has 23 Tea elements regardless of what the actual XML file has.

Anyone know why it is duplicating those elements?