8 Replies Latest reply on Dec 12, 2011 2:42 PM by mk10

FB 4.6 installation error on Mac

FTQuest Level 3

Hello there,

I've ran into installation problem.

After uninstalling 4.5.1 I start the 4.6 installer.

Once I get to the 'Installation Status' screen in a few seconds it displays an error message:

The Setup encountered an error(-1) during install. Please restart the machine and try again.

I'm on iMac, the OS 10.7.2

Needless to say, restart doesn't solve the problem.

Anybody encountered similar problems?

Once/if I get the response from Adobe techsupport, I'll post their recommendations.

Thanks,

Igor Borodin

• 1. Re: FB 4.6 installation error on Mac
          Flex harUI Adobe Employee

Someone else reported they had to remove photoshop/flash/illustrator and restart.

• 2. Re: FB 4.6 installation error on Mac
            FTQuest Level 3

Thanks Alex for the hint.

I assume that after FB is successfully installed it's OK to re-install PS, Flash, and Illustrator? Correct?

Please clarify,

Igor Borodin

• 3. Re: FB 4.6 installation error on Mac
              Flex harUI Adobe Employee

Don’t know.  I assume the other guy re-installed. We’re still ironing out kinks.  I’m glad I’m not responsible for installers.

• 4. Re: FB 4.6 installation error on Mac
                FTQuest Level 3

Well, I'll give it a try and post back.

IB

• 5. Re: FB 4.6 installation error on Mac
                  FTQuest Level 3

Indeed, uninstalling PS, Flash, and Illustrator solved the problem.

My guess is that the Web Premium offers among other installing options to install FB 4.

So, somehow that is detected by FB 4.6 installer as a present installation, though in fact there is no FB 4 installed.

Perhaps, Alex you could let appropriate person know about this bug and they would post a note about this workaround for Mac users who happen to have CS apps installed.

Anyway, thank you for the hint.

IB

• 6. Re: FB 4.6 installation error on Mac
                    mk10

I tried uninstalling the entire Web Premium CS4, including using the Creative Suite cleaner tool, and the AIR uninstaller, and doing a manual search for everything AIR and Adobe-related. I have Premiere Pro CS5 on there too but I don't want to mess with it since reinstalling would lose the updates and possibly mess up my project compatibility... but that's the only thing from Adobe left on the system. And still no dice getting FB 4.6 to install. It always gives me "error(-1)". This is on a Mac with OS X 10.7.2. What a nightmare.

I'm still waiting for the day that companies like Adobe and Microsoft realize that the quality of the installer is as important as the quality of the software itself. It doesn't pay to put  second-rate engineers on this part of the project.

• 7. Re: FB 4.6 installation error on Mac
                      FTQuest Level 3

I can understand your reluctance toward uninstalling Premiere Pro CS5, but if it was installed as a part of CS package, it may be the culprite (just may be).
                      I unistalled the CS5 package completely, and then the installer run as it should.

IB

• 8. Re: FB 4.6 installation error on Mac
                        mk10 Level 1

OK, well I uninstalled every last bit of Adobe stuff I had and lo and behold, FB4.6 finally let me install it.

But still, wow was that a huge PITA. Somehow it's difficult for me to fathom why it's so bad, considering that a normal Eclipse install is just an unzip away...