3 Replies Latest reply on Nov 30, 2011 1:21 PM by dtrachtman

basic mask question

dtrachtman Level 1

I have been trying to read the adobe docs on this and they are no help. I am simply trying to have a text layer move within a rectangular mask. I understand how to tell a layer to be a mask, but I don't get how to have it actually mask the text layer below it. What am I missing? thanks

• 1. Re: basic mask question
          Dave LaRonde Level 6

I think you're confusing your AE Lingo. 

It sounds as if you're using "mask" to refer to "track matte".   I recommend opening AE's online help.  If you search for the words track matte, you'll reveal some very useful information.

Don't worry about the version of AE Help you get.  Track mattes haven't changed in their function for over a decade.

• 2. Re: basic mask question
            Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Two options here. Option #1:

1. Create the text layer
            2. Use the Mask tool to create a mask over the text layer.
            3. Edit either the Position property of the Text by adding a Text Animator, or animate the position of the mask by enabling keyframes on the Mask Path.

Screen Shot 2011-11-30 at 12.30.43 PM.png

Option #2:

1. Create your text layer
            2. Create a solid layer above that is either the size that you want for your mask or use the mask tools to masked the solid layer to the size required
            3. Select the text layer, reveal the track matte column (F4) and set the solid above as an alpha track matte for the layer.
            4. Animate the text layer.

Screen Shot 2011-11-30 at 12.26.25 PM.png

Make sure that you've gone through the Getting Started materials from Todd.

• 3. Re: basic mask question
              dtrachtman Level 1

got it. Thank you!