13 Replies Latest reply on Dec 9, 2012 6:47 PM by Steve Sickman

Can't Preview Video in Capture Window with PP5.5

steve.sickman Level 1

I have searched the forum and located this post http://forums.adobe.com/message/3789447#3789447 which accurately defines my problem but none of the recommended fixes solves the problem. I can hear the audio but cannot see the video in the capture window during a preview. I had a laptop running Win7 64bit one month ago with a trial version of  PP5.5 and everything worked fine, so it is not any of the cameras or cabling as I am using the exact same ones. I am now running a purchased version of PP5.5 on a new machine I just had built which is also running Win7 64bit. The PP version is 5.5.2 (003 (MC:258762))

Audio and video after capture is not a problem. On a seperate note, is the lack of a preview during capture just a Mac OS issue or does that apply to Windows also? The Adobe info just lists the Mac OS.

Thanks

Steve

• 1. Re: Can't Preview Video in Capture Window with PP5.5
          rickg1949 Level 1

I'm having a similar situation: no video preview in capture window on desktop in HDV/Firewire capture.  When I capture DV/Firewire the preview is there.  And I am referring to preview and logging; I realize that the capture window is disabled during the actual capture and ingesting of the source material.  Anyone have any thoughts?

I have just had Dell tech help me update all my chipset, BIOS and nVidia drivers.  Running the following 3 year old machine:

Dell Precision 7400 workstation

dual quad core 3.0 processors

16 Gigs RAM

nVidia Quadro FX 5600 1.5Gig video card

plenty of free space on system drive

eSATA exteral RAID (5) and Firewire RAID (5) storage.

I also have a Matorx LE i/o box which I don't really use since it's sluggish and can't keep up with me.  I'd love to have HDMI large-screen preview for clients, but can't seem to get it to preform reliably enough to use it so I stay inside the Premiere desktop.

Short of a new system, any thoughts?  My thinks I have the horsepower, at least the marketing brochures tell me I should.

Happy Holidays, rg

• 2. Re: Can't Preview Video in Capture Window with PP5.5
            steve.sickman Level 1

Rick, I still don't have an answer for this problem. You probably have a little more horsepower than I do but our systems are not the problem. As I indicated in my previous post, this all worked fine on a stock HP laptop so the performance of our systems is not the issue. I tried calling Adobe tech support and was very dissapointed in their response. I could tell the guy was reading out of a manual and he didn't seem to understand that you are supposed to see the video on a preview but not on the actual capture. After he finished arguing with me and understood what was supposed to happen he kept putting me on hold and talking with one of the supervisors. Eventually he told me that they would research the problem and that they would call me back the following business day. Still waiting for that call. Now I have received a message telling me the case is closed.

I have a GeForce GTX460 graphics card. I have had no issues with it on anything else. I could also use some help if anyone has any ideas.

Thanks

Steve

• 3. Re: Can't Preview Video in Capture Window with PP5.5
              rickg1949 Level 1

Upgraded to CS6 Master Suite and still have same capture-monitor black screen.  So I am assuming it's something in my hardware setup.  I have new workstation coming with Quadro 6000 board in it and dual 6-core processors, so that should help all the monitoring quirks (I hope).

RG

• 4. Re: Can't Preview Video in Capture Window with PP5.5
                John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

1st, for Windows, have you done this?

Legacy Driver and Capture http://forums.adobe.com/thread/869277

- And a Picture http://forums.adobe.com/thread/727755

2nd, I have NOT used it, but many say to try this for HDV capture http://strony.aster.pl/paviko/hdvsplit.htm

• 5. Re: Can't Preview Video in Capture Window with PP5.5
                  Kevin-Monahan Adobe Employee

steve.sickman wrote:

I can hear the audio but cannot see the video in the capture window during a preview.

With HDV, monitoring video while capturing isn't possible. If you can't preview it, and the suggestions from other threads doesn't help, you can file a bug report: http://www.adobe.com/go/wish

• 6. Re: Can't Preview Video in Capture Window with PP5.5
                    steve.sickman Level 1

Kevin, as it says in my post, the problem is I can't see video during a preview. I understand that it is not possible to view video during a capture. I have tried to get this corrected thru Adobe phone support when I first reported this at the end of last year but they were of no help. They would keep handing it off to another level and I would get the same questions and request to try the same things. This is after I had to convince them that this was supposed to work during a preview. I could tell they were just reading from manuals.

Rick, while looking through some other threads again today, I noticed one item that I don't think I saw before. That is disabling the second monitor in a duel monitor setup. I don't recall trying this before. Are you running duel monitors? I will try this tonight to see if this makes a difference.

Steve

• 7. Re: Can't Preview Video in Capture Window with PP5.5
                      fred tyler Level 1

Hi, We have not been able to view HDV video in the capture window, until CS6. Very pleased. Although no big deal. regards all.

• 8. Re: Can't Preview Video in Capture Window with PP5.5
                        steve.sickman Level 1

Fred sent you a PM.

I tried turning off the second monitor but that did not help. I can hear audio but I still don't get a video preview.

Steve

• 9. Re: Can't Preview Video in Capture Window with PP5.5
                          fred tyler Level 1

sorry I use another email now [email address removed to protect privacy]

but it sounds like u may have another issue. I used to just use the camera screen.

• 10. Re: Can't Preview Video in Capture Window with PP5.5
                            rickg1949 Level 1

Running on the new Dell t7600 workstation with 32gig RAM, dual six-core, nVidia Quadro 6000 card with CUDA, Windows pro, Master Suite CS6, all upgrades, and still no video in logging/capture window.  What gives?

Thankfully I've moved 90% to tapeless formats so it's becoming a non-issue.

Rick

• 11. Re: Can't Preview Video in Capture Window with PP5.5
                              Ann Bens Adobe Community Professional & MVP

There is a fix for CS5.5:

Close Premiere Pro.

Copy the mc_dec_mp2v.dll file from C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Premiere Pro CS5.5\Plibs

and paste it in C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Premiere Pro CS5.5

Restart Premiere Pro.

• 12. Re: Can't Preview Video in Capture Window with PP5.5
                                skyrav1 Level 1

My premiere 5.5 has worked fine for the last year. Today i get no video in my capture window. Ive tried the copy n pasting of the suggested files to no avail..i recently installed avg tune up and im thinking it did something to the registry..ive re installed to no avail..any other ideas. Im just capturing dv from my sony vx2100..The settings are proper..

• 13. Re: Can't Preview Video in Capture Window with PP5.5
                                  Steve Sickman Level 1

Well, for anyone who is still monitoring this thread I have been using a data recorder for most of my stuff lately so this has become not much of an issue. Tonight however I had to go back to a couple of tapes and without even noticing at first (I am so conditioned to looking at the camera screen) lo and behold the preview was there in the window, just like it's supposed to be. I have no earthly idea what is different. Not sure if some automatic update took place or what, but as far as I know nothing has changed on my system.