8 Replies Latest reply on Dec 3, 2011 9:03 AM by t.barosso

Text Not Visible After Page Insertion

t.barosso

Hi All-

New guy here so please be gentle.  I've searched the forum, "Dummies" book and help but still not sure what's up.  When I add a new page or a new spread, the text frames that are moved down have no visible text in them.  Graphics are still visible.  The outport for all of the text frames switch to the red plus sign.  If I drag the text frames down slightly, I am able to flow the text from the outport to the inport of the master text frame on that same page.  (CS5.5)

Thanks, Tom

• 1. Re: Text Not Visible After Page Insertion
          winterm Level 4

hi,

I suppose, you should be a bit more specific...It must be something rather basic, but I personally just can't catch your problem. Maybe someone else can guess better.

• 2. Re: Text Not Visible After Page Insertion
            Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

Are you saying that if you insert new pages into a document with threaded text some of the text goes into overset that was not overset previously? I've never seen that, but I don't know that I've had any reason to add apages that way in CS5.5.

Are you using Smart Text Reflow?

• 3. Re: Text Not Visible After Page Insertion
              t.barosso Level 1

Thanks to those who have replied.  Yes, I am using Smart Text Reflow.  If I have to insert less that a page worth of material, I can resize the text box where I need to insert and text flows to the next page fine.  My issue comes up if I have to insert a full page. Then yes, the text that moves becomes overset.

• 4. Re: Text Not Visible After Page Insertion

I actually don't have a clue what's happening, but I suspect it is related to something with Smart Text Reflow. I don't use STR myself, can't stand having the program think it's smarter than I am about what I want, so let's hope some other user has some idea.

• 5. Re: Text Not Visible After Page Insertion
                  winterm Level 4

Peter Spier wrote:

I (...) can't stand having the program think it's smarter than I am

keeping in mind this wise point, maybe it's worth to turn off STR temporarily and see what happens?

• 6. Re: Text Not Visible After Page Insertion

It just occurred to me that with Smart Text Reflow I would expect the result of adding a page in the middle of a thread to be the same as if you added the page to the end of the document -- i.e. text would flow backward to fill it and leave the last page blank, or even remove it. This is clearly not what's happening, so perhaps we're looking at a bug or design limitation in Smart Text Reflow that prevents it from adding a page inthe middle of the thread or jumping past an inserted page. A design limitation wouldn't surprise me -- the logic to be able to do that AND add or remove pages would be pretty complex to program.

• 7. Re: Text Not Visible After Page Insertion
                      John Hawkinson Level 5

I think a set of screenshots would be helpful here...

• 8. Re: Text Not Visible After Page Insertion
                        t.barosso Level 1

As much as I would like to blame my issue on a bug, newbie ignorance would be closer to the truth.

Peter's comment about Smart Text Reflow got me thinking.  And what I realized was that some, but not all of my text was in the master text frame.  I was dragging files from mini-bridge and (I think) creating other text frames on top of the mater frame.  Now I am cutting and pasting text from my word .doc's and into the master text frame all seems to flow. 

If I want to insert a new page, I now position the cursor and insert a page break instead of dragging a new page from the fly out menu to where I want it.  Works much better. 

Thanks to all who took the time to reply,

Tom