13 Replies Latest reply on Dec 2, 2011 6:38 AM by Peter Spier

Issue with pages created from Master

Zoran1124564

I am working on a photo album leyouts and have created several master pages containing "Rectangle Frames". I want to use these frames to insert photos.

If I insert the photos in the frames on the master WITHOUT creating a new page based on the master, everything works fine.

However if I create a new page and apply this master, I am able to add pictures to some "Rectangle Frames" properly but some either do not accept the picture at all or streach the picture outside it's borders. In any case most of the frames become unusable (?)

I tried recreating some masters but did not help at all.

Any idea how to resolve this is appreciated.

Thanks.

• 1. Re: Issue with pages created from Master
          tman69 Level 3

when you create frames on a master page--they are generally NOT selectable on the pages the master is applied to--however--to use the frames for photo placement (like you're referring to) you must first 'over ride' the master page items.

To override master page items on a document page, target (click on) the page in the pages panel, and then choose Override All Master Page Items in the Pages panel menu. You can now select and use the master items as you wish.

• 2. Re: Issue with pages created from Master
            Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

You absolutely do NOT need to override a master frame to use it. In fact if you are flowing text you generally shouldn't override first because it disconnects the overridden frame from the master thread.

My hunch is that the frames are locked for position on the master page. By default, ID no longer allows you to select a locked item (this changed in CS5, along with the new layers panel) and this also prevents you from placing content into it. There is a preference, however, in the General pane, that allows you select these locked frames, and unchecking the "Prevent Selection of Locked Objects" box will return you to the old behavior where locked frames cannot be moved, but can be filled with content whether selected or not.

• 3. Re: Issue with pages created from Master
              Zoran1124564 Level 1

Thanks a lot however it does not resolve the problem. Any other idea what could be doneto have it fixed?

Thanks a lot to everyone.

• 4. Re: Issue with pages created from Master

Are they on a locked layer?  This happens on some pages, but not others, based on the same master page?

• 5. Re: Issue with pages created from Master
                  Zoran1124564 Level 1

I do not have any layers that I either intentionally created or locked so let me provide more details what I did so far:

1. Created an 11x14 Master with one 11x14 Rectangle Frame on it painted in black - I call this one BGCOLOR MASTER

2. Created another master that is based on BGCOLOR MASTER and having 2 pages - I call this one SPREAD MASTER and use it as a msater for other masters bellow

3. Created several master pages containing combinations of different size Rectangle Frames that I want to use for hold the pictures. All of these newly created masters are based on the SPREAD MASTER - I call these FINAL LAYOUT MASTERS.

All of these master pages are created without any issues.

Here is the problem part:

- If I create a NON_Master page based on any of the FINALL LAYOUT MASTERS, some of them either do not want to accept pictures in the Rectangle Frame or lose the background color of the whole spread (defined in BGCOLOR MASTER). Some NON_Master pages work fine. Please not that ones that work fine are based on certain LAYOUT MASTERS and that makes me think the issue must be with LAYOUT MASTERS.

- However, if I try adding the pictures in the LAYOUT MASTERS directly without creating the NON_Master page based on the LAYOUT MASTER, all LAYOUT MASTERS accept the pictures properly and with no issues to background.

Thanks again.

• 6. Re: Issue with pages created from Master

Could you post some screen shots of the masters, the pages panel (with all the master pages showing in the panel), and apge that works and one that doesn't?

Use the camnera icon on the web page to embed your screen capteruse into your post like this:

CameraIcon.png

• 7. Re: Issue with pages created from Master
                      Zoran1124564 Level 1

Two images inserted in the MASTER and all looks good

Images in master.jpg

______________________________________________________________________________

A new page created from the master and depending if left or right image is unserted first, here are results - not good:

Images in page 1.jpg

Images in page 2.jpg

_________________________________________________________________________________

Here is tree of masters and what based on what:

Masters.jpg

_____________________________________________________________________

Please note that pages based on other masters do work fine but some even after recreating the master still do not work properly. All master (these that have working pages and these that do not have working pages) are based on the SPREAD MASTER that is based on BGCOLOR MASTER as per the image above.

Thanks for your time...

• 8. Re: Issue with pages created from Master

I need to see frame edges, but I think there's a good chance this is some sort of error in your technique while placing.

Before you click, look carfully at the cursor. Is it surrounde by parentheses? Be very careful NOT to click on any guides, too.

• 9. Re: Issue with pages created from Master

It probably also would help to put the black backgrounds on a separate layer below the image frames and lock the layer so the background can't accidentally be used to hold an image.

• 10. Re: Issue with pages created from Master
                            Zoran1124564 Level 1

Thanks a lot Peter. I do not think technique is an issue here since I am able to get some frames working and the same others not.

I will try recreating the document and see how it goes...

Since I have feeling you might know this let me ask. Is there any way to copy guides from one documnt to another as well as to position guide at exact location by typing the distance from edge.

THANKS ONCE AGAIN.

• 11. Re: Issue with pages created from Master

Guides can be selected and copied like any other object, as long as they are not locked. If you want them in the same postion in a new page or document, you can "paste in place."

• 12. Re: Issue with pages created from Master
                                Zoran1124564 Level 1

Thanks for all your help Peter.

I re-created the document using the layers as you suggested and it seems to work well for now.

One minor behavior is making me wonder of I am doing something wron - On pages where I have pictures partially overlapping each other despite defining in master pictures that should be on top, the order of pictures displayed in the pages does not reflect what in master. The image I add firs usually ends up on the top despite me defiing in the master to be the bottow image.

Am I missing some setting here?

• 13. Re: Issue with pages created from Master

I was wondering if you had overlapping frames.

On any particular layer, master objects are behind ojects on the same layer on the document page. When you place content into a master frame it automatically overrides onto the document page and is now in front of other master objects that are not overridden. Placing content into the next master frame overrides it too (and these stay behind objects created on the document page), but it doesn't resore the original stacking order, apparently (somthing I just learned because I never tried it before). It seems that master objects get re-stacked in the order they are overridden. I find this a little unituitive, but not illogical.

You can deal with that in a few ways. Easiest might be just to rearrange them in the layers panel afterward (or select and send backward/forward using the keyboard shorcuts). Another would be to create a layer for each --layer order is always preserved.

You could also override manually as a group by marquis selecting while releasing them (difficult in some layout configurations) or one at a time starting at the back and moving forward in order BEFORE you place the content, but I'm not sure that is any better than not having master frames.