9 Replies Latest reply on Dec 2, 2011 4:33 AM by Michael Gianino

printing a business card draft

ladyinblack1964 Level 1

can anyone help with this?

I am using CS5.5 Indesign and a Windows 7 system.

I designed a double-sided business card. I have it set up as facing pages. I have three questions, actually:

1. Is there any way I can get these two sides to, well, sit side-by-side, so that I do not have to print on two pieces of paper, but can print on one sheet of paper and then use an Xacto knife to cut apart, and stick them together with glue?

2. Is there a way to get them to print on my HP printer, which does double-sided printing, so that they will print in the orientation I need?

3. Can I start a whole new document and somehow cut and paste both sides onto this document, and then print onto one sheet of paper?

If anyone wants to see the cards, I can load them into CS Live.

Thank you very very much!

• 1. Re: printing a business card draft
          Michael Gianino Level 4

ladyinblack1964 wrote:

1. Is there any way I can get these two sides to, well, sit side-by-side, so that I do not have to print on two pieces of paper, but can print on one sheet of paper and then use an Xacto knife to cut apart, and stick them together with glue?

Best practice is to create your document the size of the trimmed size of the card (3.5x2, if it's a normal card). You can use facing pages if you want, but I don't think there is much advantage. I'd probably do it without facing pages myself. If you want to see the front and back created on separate pages side-by-side, you can go to the pages panel and uncheck Allow Document Pages to Shuffle, and then drag the second page up beside the first. You can even print that spread to one sheet if you tick the Spreads checkbox in the General page of the print window (there's also a place to specify the orientation and page position in the Setup page of the print window).

ladyinblack1964 wrote:

2. Is there a way to get them to print on my HP printer, which does double-sided printing, so that they will print in the orientation I need?

That might be a bit tricky. In my experience, dead-on accuracy isn't that high on the priorities of printer manufacturers. It's not as bad as swinging a rubber stamp, but if you try, you might find that it's off enough that when you trim the card, one side will look like it's in, the other side will look like a mis-cut. If you really want to do this, I'd build the card in the middle of a letter-size page with trim marks, and run it through the printer a number of times, nudging the second page a bit each time until it's close enough for you. Keep in mind that with the tolerance not being dead-on, you will still get some drift from one copy to the next, but that will vary depending on what printer you have.

ladyinblack1964 wrote:

3. Can I start a whole new document and somehow cut and paste both sides onto this document, and then print onto one sheet of paper?

This is probably the best thing to do. Make the card with a 3.5x2 document, and make a second letter-sized document with an image frame and crop marks (there is a crop-marks script for Mac OS, but I'm not sure how it works on Windows). You can place an InDesign document into another the way you can place an image (tick the Show Import Options box in the Place window to decide which page or pages of a document you want to place). You used to have to save the pages as graphics like EPS or PDF, but you don't have to with InDesign. That will save you from having to export as a graphic each time you want to tweak your cards, as well as the need to keep an InDesign file and a graphic of the InDesign file just for placing. Just make your tweak and update the image in the links manager.

• 2. Re: printing a business card draft
            Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

I don't see a lot of advantage to the letter-size document route. Setting the print dialog to print "centered" should accomplish the same thing witout the extra steps.

As Michael noted, desktop printers are not built to the same tolerances as printing presses. The cheaper the printer, the wider the position tolerance will be for page-to-page registration and the greater the drift. Typical spec is around +/- 1/16" for an overall variation of up to 1/8" (1/16 on either side of "correct" positioning), so while you might eventually get a single duplexed copy in register front-to-back, the odds that the next one will be as well are not that good. If your printer has one, I find using the bypass tray is often more consistent.

• 3. Re: printing a business card draft
              Michael Gianino Level 4

Six of one. It all depends on how you want to do it. The few times I've had to do this, I put the front and back far enough apart on the sheet so I could do a rough-cut down the middle. I could then back them up on the light table with a piece of double-stick tape, using the crop marks to align. I then get a clean cut through both sheets on one set of crops. That said, I've only had to do that a few times.

1 person found this helpful
              • 4. Re: printing a business card draft

Well, that does make sense.

• 5. Re: printing a business card draft
                  ladyinblack1964 Level 1

I do like the letter-size suggestion that Michael made, but I can't figure out how to get the crop marks in Windows, either. Anyone?

I did get the pages to sit side-by-side, by clicking unshuffle, but they don't look right. The graphics from page 2 are overlapping page 1.

This is not typical business card size. It's a gatefold card measuring 4" wide x 3.5" h.

I'll be printing this at school in a couple of hours, and luckily we have commercial printers there. I had just hoped to save a sheet of paper, if possible.

Thanks!

• 6. Re: printing a business card draft
                    ladyinblack1964 Level 1

Think I may have figured it out.

• 7. Re: printing a business card draft

There's a CropMarks script in the samples installed with ID that might be helpful...

• 8. Re: printing a business card draft
                        Daniel Flavin Level 4

I have to disagree with the letter size layout, crop marks script and pages shuffling. (I guess that's everything).

A lettersize size layout (or larger, perhaps imposed to 8, 10, 12 or 20 up) is perfect for production runs.

But what happens with the single lettersize proof page is you place your card/layout/pdf proof whatever; if it has bleeds and you include the bleed, the crop marks script is not going to draw to final size, but rather it includes the bleeds. In this instance, I place to trim, create the marks, re-place to include the bleeds and than set frame to image. Extra steps.

I recomend page setup as actual trim, include defined bleeds.

Print centered on a full size sheet, include crops and bleeds. Assuming you use decent safe areas away from the trim, and decent bleed settings, desktop printers will duplex, you will cut, and have the visual you wanted. You designed the card, you understand if the trim is off 1mm, live with it.

As for page shuffling, I think it easiest to enter the page range at print. In my typical card files of 100 pages, there are seldom more than 1, perhaps two unique backs. I keep them no further than page 3 for reference. Print with a page range; ie 45,2, which will print 45 as the front backed up with page 2.

humbly submitted, ymmv

• 9. Re: printing a business card draft
                          Michael Gianino Level 4

These are not such big obstacles, and considering that this is just for a mock-up, may not be necessary all that often.

1. Make a letter-size document
                          2. Make a 3.5x2 image frame with centered content
                          3. Run the crop mark script
                          4. Select all and duplicate
                          5. Place the original ID file (both pages) and click one into each frame
                          6. If there is bleed, hold Option and drag a corner a bit to expose the bleed

Steps 1-4 can be saved as a template if this is something you have to do often. If there is no script for Windows (I'm not a Windows guy, so I wouldn't know), crop marks will take a few minutes to set up, but you only have to do it once if you save a template.