6 Replies Latest reply on Dec 7, 2011 8:17 AM by mhandlem

Can't get Premiere Elements 9 to recognize my video

mhandlem

I have Premiere Elements 9 and I can't for the life of me figure out why it won't let me import video files that are already on my computer - like those from my FlipCam - with video. The audio is there but no video. I don't know if it makes a difference, but the format appears to be .avi.

Additionally, Elements does not recognize my Canon video camera (admittedly its a couple of years old) to capture video. After hooking it up to a firewire port and turn it on, Elements has no recognition that the camera is there.

Please help!!

Thank you

• 1. Re: Can't get Premiere Elements 9 to recognize my video
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

When you started your Premiere Elements project, did you choose the correct settings for Flip video?

Did you get your video into your project by connecting your camcorder to your computer and then using Get Media/From Flip AVCHD Hard Disk camcorder, which opens the Video Importer?

Have you ensured you have the latest version of Quicktime, per the program's requirements?

What operating system are you running?

You really need to give us more details about what steps you're taking and which models of camcorders you're working with in order for use to help you. Simply saying a "Canon camcorder" doesn't really give us much to work with. Canon makes hundreds of camcorders that shoot in dozens of formats.

• 2. Re: Can't get Premiere Elements 9 to recognize my video
            the_wine_snob Level 9

Welcome to the forum.

As Steve asks, what is the Project Preset, and what are the full specs. of the files from the Flip, plus from your Cannon?

Just having AV files on the computer is not a guarantee that those files can be Imported into PrE. Also, just knowing the format, say AVI, or MOV, does not tell us enough about those files. Most formats can have myriad CODEC's inside them, and some might work fine, while others might not. This ARTICLE goes into much more detail.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 3. Re: Can't get Premiere Elements 9 to recognize my video
              mhandlem Level 1

Hi Steve,

Thank you for your response. Let me start by saying trouble shooting computer problems is not my specialty. So hopefully I'll be better able to answer your questions than my initial post.

1. When you started your Premiere Elements project, did you choose the correct settings for Flip video?

Not entirely sure. When I go to "get media" I click on the appropriate area I would like Premiere to get the video from. If there are other specifications I am not sure where to find them. Also I realized later that I was unclear about where I was getting the file from. It IS a flip video, but I was trying to pull it from a file already on my computer - NOT trying to directly import it from the flip camera. When I try to pull over these flip camera videos, Premiere pulls over the audio from it but NO video.

2. Did you get your video into your project by connecting your camcorder to your computer and then using Get Media/From Flip AVCHD Hard Disk camcorder, which opens the Video Importer?

I tried, but am still not able to get video directly from the flip camera. Likewise am not able to pull the flip camera video from a file on my computer.

As for trying to capture video from my Canon mini DV video camera (model ZR90), the program doesn't recognize that my camera is there so I'm not able to capture any video. Likewise, Windows Movie Maker also does not recognize that my camera is there and turned on. Movie Maker though is able to pull the flip camera videos with video and audio onto its template

3. Have you ensured you have the latest version of Quicktime, per the program's requirements?

I just tonight downloaded a new version of Quicktime

4. What operating system are you running?

Windows XP

Thanks for taking a look. Please let me know if you have any other questions for me

Michelle

• 4. Re: Can't get Premiere Elements 9 to recognize my video
                mhandlem Level 1

Hi Steve and Hunt,

(Steve I sent this response to you before I realized I could respond to my initial post. Hopefully this will help generate some new ideas for my problems.)

Thank you for your response. Let me start by saying trouble shooting computer problems is not my specialty. So hopefully I'll be better able to answer your questions than my initial post. Steve and Hunt my responses to your questions below:

1. When you started your Premiere Elements project, did you choose the correct settings for Flip video?

Not entirely sure. When I go to "get media" I click on the appropriate area I would like Premiere to get the video from. If there are other specifications I am not sure where to find them. Also I realized later that I was unclear about where I was getting the file from. It IS a flip video, but I was trying to pull it from a file already on my computer - NOT trying to directly import it from the flip camera. When I try to pull over these flip camera videos, Premiere pulls over the audio from it but NO video.

2. Did you get your video into your project by connecting your camcorder to your computer and then using Get Media/From Flip AVCHD Hard Disk camcorder, which opens the Video Importer?

I tried, but am still not able to get video directly from the flip camera. Likewise am not able to pull the flip camera video from a file on my computer.

As for trying to capture video from my Canon mini DV video camera (model ZR90), the program doesn't recognize that my camera is there so I'm not able to capture any video. If it helps this camera is at least 5 years old.

Windows Movie Maker also does not recognize that my camera is there and turned on. Movie Maker though is able to pull the flip camera videos with video and audio onto its template

3. Have you ensured you have the latest version of Quicktime, per the program's requirements?

I just tonight downloaded a new version of Quicktime

4. What operating system are you running?

Windows XP

5. As Steve asks, what is the Project Preset, and what are the full specs. of the files from the Flip, plus from your Cannon?

I'm not exactly sure what specs I should be looking for: size, frame rate? Is AVI movie file helpful at all?  I read the article but I'm still unsure about what details I should be looking for. Sorry .

Thanks for taking a look. Please let me know if you have any other questions for me

Michelle

• 5. Re: Can't get Premiere Elements 9 to recognize my video
                  Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

Please have a look at parts 1 and 2 of my free 8 part Basic Training tutorials at Premiere Elements support site Muvipix.com.

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/537685

Properly setting up your project and properly loading the media into it are vital steps in creating a successful project.

• 6. Re: Can't get Premiere Elements 9 to recognize my video
                    mhandlem Level 1

Thank you for your suggestion Steve. I'll take a look at the tutorial

Take care,

Michelle