7 Replies Latest reply on Dec 1, 2011 4:11 AM by Peter Spier

continuation of PDF matters

sssuuusssaaannn Level 1

Hi, this has happened before; I want to make sure part of my question is saved, but when I press STRL+S, the post goes up.  sorry.  Here's the continuation:

2.  Sometimes  a wide blue swath develops over the selected text when I'm using the text selection tool,  though it is still usually possible to  edit the text in this condition.   Why is this?  And this is proabably a common problem; can anything be done about some text not being editable at all because a suitable font replacement can't be found, or do I have to go back to InDesign, to make sure of...what?   If I used a font in Indesign, why does Acrobat tell me it isn't in the system?

3.  If a PDF footer is made of two rows, the second row is never centered with the first. In the preview it looks fine, but not in the pdf.  Also, is there any way to place a logo in the header?  (That would be a request for the next version, if not.)

4.  When I try to copy images from one page to another, it sometimes disappears from the original page.

5.  The typewriter tool is sometimes inactive when it shouldn't be.

Thanks for all the help you can give me!

Susan

• 1. Re: continuation of PDF matters
          Michael Gianino Level 4

I don't do too much editing of PDFs in Acrobat, so I don't think I'll be much help, but rather than making a continuation of an existing thread into a new thread, go to the original and either edit it or add the rest as a reply. That way, things don't get too muddied up.

• 2. Re: continuation of PDF matters
            winterm Level 4

hi,

firstly: if original ID document is reachable, far far better to do all edits there and re-export pdf. Imho, Acrobat tools should be used just in emergency.

sssuuusssaaannn wrote:

(...)

can anything be done about some text not being editable at all because a suitable font replacement can't be found, or do I have to go back to InDesign, to make sure of...what?   If I used a font in Indesign, why does Acrobat tell me it isn't in the system?

afaik, Acrobat "by design" doesn't look for fonts in system folders or wherever else. Fonts are embedded into pdf or... they aren't.

You can control this behaviour while exporting pdf: Export Adobe pdf>Advanced - Subset fonts when percent of characters used is less then ... %

If you write in 0 there, all fonts, used in document, will be embedded completely, no matter how many characters really used. So you can freely rewrite text (change characters) in Acrobat, using that font.

If you write in 100 there, only used chars will be embedded, so edit possibilities will be limited to those characters already present in pdf.

you can easily find fairly good discussions on this topic if you google a bit...

or just read a topic in ID Help about Font, OPI, and flattening options for PDFs

• 3. Re: continuation of PDF matters
              Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

winterm wrote:

afaik, Acrobat "by design" doesn't look for fonts in system folders or wherever else. Fonts are embedded into pdf or... they aren't.

I don't think that's quite true. You have the option in Acrobat to "Use System Fonts" and if turned on I think you can edit if the font is installed on the sytem, but not embedded in the file. In fact, I'm not entirely sure that Acrobat uses the embedded fonts in cases where the font is both installed and embedded and this option is enabled, and that's one reason you might want it off for creating output.

The blue swath thing in the original post makes me think that the text/object selction tool was used used rather than the text text touchup tool. The only times I've seen the typwriter tool inactive when I thought it should be available were when the document had security applied. I'm afraid, though, that I do very little editing directly in PDF and am fairly clueless about a lot of the finer points.

• 4. Re: continuation of PDF matters
                winterm Level 4

Peter Spier wrote:

I don't think that's quite true. (...)

oh, yes

I just suppose, it's safer to think it's true

I'm not entirely sure that Acrobat uses the embedded fonts in cases where the font is both installed and embedded

that's because it's better not to play with this to much, especially on the different machines or even platforms - exporting pdf and editing it.

• 5. Re: continuation of PDF matters

Your last comment is a bit unclear to me. I think you and I may be agreeing, though, that having this setting off is a good idea if you want to be sure you see what the author intended and the fonts are actually embedded.

But that is a tradeoff -- if the fonts are NOT embedded and you have them installed, but don't use them, you'll see (not obvious) rampant font substitution withet Adobe multiple master serif and sanserif fonts use to replace those that are missing -- and, of course, this is alos a user-selectable setting and totally out of the contol of the person creating the PDF.

• 6. Re: continuation of PDF matters
                    winterm Level 4

Absolutely agreed - that's what I meant and couldn't express in my poor english.

Peter, you are mind reader, maybe it must-have feature for Community Professionals?

• 7. Re: continuation of PDF matters

Reading minds is helpful for forum participation, but none of us is good enough to get it right every time.

That aside, your English seems quite good to me. Up until that last post I had no trouble understanding waht you were saying at all.