5 Replies Latest reply on Dec 3, 2011 6:24 PM by pwillener

Adobe Reader X 10.1.1.33 Installer Puts Gibberish In Windows Registry

r_ostrow

Operating system: Windows 7 x64 SP1.

The Adobe Reader X version 10.1.1.33 Installer creates sixteen values in your Windows Registry that are all gibberish.

Take a look at the values created under the following registry key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Installer\UserData\S-1-5-18\P roducts\68AB67CA7DA73301B744AA0100000010\Features

How does all this incorrect data affect the running of Adobe Reader?

This invalid data does cause a problem with a program I use to examine the Windows registry. Upon further examination the data in the "Help" value contains and invalid character in position 82 (0x0002).

Can anybody from Adobe tell me when this bug might be fixed?

• 1. Re: Adobe Reader X 10.1.1.33 Installer Puts Gibberish In Windows Registry
          LeoAdobeX Adobe Employee

This value is created by Windows Installer Service - not by Adobe Reader installer.

You can read more on PublishFeatures standard action if you Google for it.

Why this information is causing a problem with your program can probably be answered by the authors of this program as well as Microsoft engineers.

• 2. Re: Adobe Reader X 10.1.1.33 Installer Puts Gibberish In Windows Registry
            r_ostrow Level 1

I am talking about all the values that are under the following key (not the key itself):

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Installer \UserData\S-1-5-18\Products\68AB67CA7DA73301B744AA0100000010\Features

As far as I understand it, the installer progresses through actions specified in sequence tables. These actions query the installation database and generate a script that gives a step by step procedure for performing the installation.

The whole point is that the installation database, which is populated with information by the author (Adobe) must be correct.

• 3. Re: Adobe Reader X 10.1.1.33 Installer Puts Gibberish In Windows Registry
              LeoAdobeX Adobe Employee

Your point is well taken.

The other point could be that Windows Installer process that generates the new "gibberish" data is not perfect.

or

The program that you use to validate the "gibberish" data is not doing the right job.

How can you be sure that it is Adobe fault?

My original reply was about the Help value that you specifically mentioned-

"This invalid data does cause a problem with a program I use to examine the Windows registry. Upon further examination the data in the "Help" value contains and invalid character in position 82 (0x0002)."

• 4. Re: Adobe Reader X 10.1.1.33 Installer Puts Gibberish In Windows Registry
                r_ostrow Level 1

The program I was using, which alerted me to the problem, takes a snapshot of the registry and creates an .XML file. When this file is opened in Internet Explorer 9 it only displays a blank page instead of a tree view of the registry. Using the developement tools, that come with IE9, I was able to determine that the reason it displays a blank page was that it halts when it comes to an invalid data character in the .XML file. I then opened regedit and examined the "Help" data value in the registry to see if the 0x0002 character was actually in there, and it was.

The whole point of my post is not the invalid character in the registry but all the junk that is put there by the Adobe Reader installer.

Can somebody from Adobe please comment as to why your installer is putting what appears to be alot of junk into the Windows Registry?

thanks,

• 5. Re: Adobe Reader X 10.1.1.33 Installer Puts Gibberish In Windows Registry
                  pwillener Level 8

What looks like "junk" is not always junk.  These apparently meaningless strings actually look quite neat when viewed in hexadecimal form, and I am sure that these data are used by Adobe Reader.

I can imagine that displaying such data in XML form can cause problems, as such hexadecimal strings can easily contain codes that translate into apostrophes, quotation marks, slashes, GT, LT, and other characters that define the XML markup language.