10 Replies Latest reply on Dec 7, 2011 5:42 AM by BobLevine

Upgrade from Indesign CS3 to CS5...

momo55 Level 1

I'm wondering if there are any 'problems' with CS5 that I should be wary of...

What about big pluses?...any advice?

I'm on OS 10.6.8, maybe one day 10.7 but not for the immediate future...my main computer these days is a three year old macbook pro with 4gb of ram if that matters...

the main reason to upgrade, adobe's new upgrade policy...would do this before the end of the year to save the 20 percent...if it weren't for this I wouldn't upgrade, CS3 has been fine for me so far...

I've got similar questions I'm gonna ask on the illustrator forum...have CS3 and wonder if CS5 is a worthwhile upgrade, but i use this program so infrequently I'll probably let it pass...

thanks for any help

M

• 1. Re: Upgrade from Indesign CS3 to CS5...
          Michael Gianino Level 4

The current version is 5.5, which is actually a paid upgrade (not a free update) from 5 (so you would be jumping over 4 and 5) if that makes a difference. Also, you don't say whether you just have ID or one of the bundles, but be careful about the pricing structure. For example, the $299 price they advertise for the Design Standard bundle applies to an upgrade from 5 to 5.5. If I upgraded my CS3 Design Standard to CS5.5 Design Standard, it would be $699. Just FYI.

• 2. Re: Upgrade from Indesign CS3 to CS5...
            momo55 Level 1

Hi Michael...I don't have any bundle or suite...I bought all my software as stand alone versions years ago and upgraded as needed...so, I have indesign CS3 and was asking about buying the upgrade to CS5...I'm not sure, but I don't think I want or need 5.5, but it may be the upgrade path, I haven't checked...like I didn't upgrade from Photoshop CS5 that I currently use to 5.5...

I quickly saw upgrade pricing of around 168 euros here in europe...it's about 139 dollars in the US I think...that's the upgrade path I've been looking at...

M

• 3. Re: Upgrade from Indesign CS3 to CS5...
              Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

You might find a reseller someplace who still has CS5 upgrade disks, but it's not very likely. For print workflows, there's not a lot of difference between CS5 and CS5.5, but if you think you might be interested in any sort of ePub or online publishing, 5.5 is the better choice.

As far as what would make it a good idea? I like the new selection behaviors, smart guides, Illustrator-style layers panel, Live Preflight (though that can casue some trouble for some users -- mostly on userpowered systems, I think), Grid in Step and Repeat, link info in the links panel, and that's just off the top of my head things that increased my productivity without really looking at new features like GREP styles and Line styles. I think Bob probably still has pages devoted to what's new for CS5 and 5.5, and maybe for CS4, at his site, http://theindesignguy.com/tips.shtml

1 person found this helpful
              • 4. Re: Upgrade from Indesign CS3 to CS5...
                Michael Gianino Level 4

momo55 wrote:

I quickly saw upgrade pricing of around 168 euros here in europe...it's about 139 dollars in the US I think...that's the upgrade path I've been looking at...

M

I checked the Adobe Store, and the single-version upgrade price is $119  if you upgrade from CS5 and $199 if you have CS4 and earlier. I'm not sure what the Euro pricing is, but I imagine there is a similar difference for your CS3.

• 5. Re: Upgrade from Indesign CS3 to CS5...
                  momo55 Level 1

Peter Spier wrote:

You might find a reseller someplace who still has CS5 upgrade disks, but it's not very likely. For print workflows, there's not a lot of difference between CS5 and CS5.5, but if you think you might be interested in any sort of ePub or online publishing, 5.5 is the better choice.

As far as what would make it a good idea? I like the new selection behaviors, smart guides, Illustrator-style layers panel, Live Preflight (though that can casue some trouble for some users -- mostly on userpowered systems, I think), Grid in Step and Repeat, link info in the links panel, and that's just off the top of my head things that increased my productivity without really looking at new features like GREP styles and Line styles. I think Bob probably still has pages devoted to what's new for CS5 and 5.5, and maybe for CS4, at his site, http://theindesignguy.com/tips.shtml

thanks for the link Peter...that is helpful...kinda like a concise list of reasons to upgrade, or not...

• 6. Re: Upgrade from Indesign CS3 to CS5...
                    momo55 Level 1

Michael Gianino wrote:

momo55 wrote:

M

I checked the Adobe Store, and the single-version upgrade price is $119  if you upgrade from CS5 and $199 if you have CS4 and earlier. I'm not sure what the Euro pricing is, but I imagine there is a similar difference for your CS3.

Ok, thanks Michael...

• 7. Re: Upgrade from Indesign CS3 to CS5...
                      BobLevine MVP & Adobe Community Professional

thanks for the link Peter...that is helpful...kinda like a concise list of reasons to upgrade, or not...

That's the idea. Glad you found it helpful.

Bob

• 8. Re: Upgrade from Indesign CS3 to CS5...
                        pietpetoors

I hope somebody can help

I also want to upgrade from CS3 to CS5. I purchased the upgrade online and I downloaded the files they made available to download

Now I sit with these files but have no idea what to do with it.

Is there somewhere something which explains how to do the upgrade?

I cannot find anything in a manual

The files I have:

InDesign_7_5_LS1.7z  (830566 kb)

InDesign_7_5_LS1.exe  (1201Kb)

InDesignFamily_7_5_Content_ALL.exe (159715 kb)

• 9. Re: Upgrade from Indesign CS3 to CS5...
                          Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

Put all the files together in one folder someplace on your hard drive, then run InDesign_7_5_LS1.exe

The installer will extract the files from the .7z file so you don't need to worry about that one. After the installation, you can run the content .exe file if you like. It will have some extra stuff, but nothing that I recall as being required.

• 10. Re: Upgrade from Indesign CS3 to CS5...
                            BobLevine MVP & Adobe Community Professional

Just for the record, you are upgrading to CS5.5, not CS5.

Bob