9 Replies Latest reply on Dec 2, 2011 8:35 AM by bemdesign
      • 1. Re: Spry Dropdown Menu Not Working in IE 5.5
        Curtis_E_Flush Level 3

Why ever on earth would you even be concerned with compatibility for a browser that has been "sunsetted" for more than five years, and has less than 0.25% of the intenet user share?

You might as well be trying to build for Netscape 3 or Mozilla 0.75.

• 2. Re: Spry Dropdown Menu Not Working in IE 5.5
          marshallpickard Level 1

Well…I don't think it works in IE6 either, but unfortunately my client runs a VERY old version of IE and the corporate heads haven't upgraded!

• 3. Re: Spry Dropdown Menu Not Working in IE 5.5
            Curtis_E_Flush Level 3

XP (which CAN'T be run lower than SP2 these days) shipped with IE6, SP2 uses IE7 as a standard and SP3 uses IE8. Even Win2k SP4 can run IE 7 and possibly IE8 (I don't personally know because I haven't touched a 2k machine in five years) Vista and Win7 can run IE 9,

Here's where you can shut down the "it won't work with what we have" argument:

IE upgrades... (wait for it...) ARE FREE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!    YES, FREE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

So, they havre NO EXCUSE AT ALL for running an obsolete version that should have been replaced by Windows Update years ago....  If their policy is not to update their systems for that long (IE 5 was "sunsetted - Misrosoft quit supporting it" - in 2006), this company has much bigger problems from an I/T standpoint than browser compatibility with Spry menus.

• 4. Re: Spry Dropdown Menu Not Working in IE 5.5
              Ben M Adobe Community Professional

I have to agree with Curtis here.  There is no reason they are not using at least IE 6 on an old computer.  IE6 is compatible back to Windows 98.  The SP2 version that Curtis refers to is for XP.  I'm not sure the Spry is built to be compatible with less than IE 6.  Only other solution I looked into was Pop Menu Magic.  It's a commercial solution.  The new version goes back to IE6, I don't remember how far back version 1 went, but from Project Seven's website they are not offering version 1 for sale anymore.

If their policy is not to update their systems for that long (IE 5 was "sunsetted - Misrosoft quit supporting it" - in 2006), this company has much bigger problems from an I/T standpoint than browser compatibility with Spry menus.

Amen.

• 5. Re: Spry Dropdown Menu Not Working in IE 5.5
                marshallpickard Level 1

To be honest…I agree. Just was trying to find a fix and being stubborn in the process. They are supossed to get the system upgraded. Company is fine, but size causes problems. Thanks.

• 6. Re: Spry Dropdown Menu Not Working in IE 5.5
                  Curtis_E_Flush Level 3

Tkae this as a sign... a bad sign of what you may end up dealing with as you go forward with this company. If they won't even do a FREE upgrade to their own systems to improve (or at least maintain) productivity. Are you going to have trouble getting paid for your work?  Do you have an iron clad contract for your work with them? I hope so.

• 7. Re: Spry Dropdown Menu Not Working in IE 5.5
                    Ben M Adobe Community Professional

I took a little deeper look into your CSS code and you have modified a lot of what the original Adobe code was to get your results.  And I did test a sample default spry menu in an IE 5.5 tester (don't know how accurate that is) and it seems to work fine in the default state.  So I'm thinking that if you want this to work you have to keep it as simple as possible trying like trying to build an HTML email.  I'll take a shot at it and see if there's a way to get your styling done in the most basic of ways.  I might not be able to guarantee an identical look, but maybe similar.  If it's too different, you could load an alternative stylesheet for the menu for IE 5.5 using one of IE's conditional statements:  http://www.quirksmode.org/css/condcom.html

• 8. Re: Spry Dropdown Menu Not Working in IE 5.5
                      marshallpickard Level 1

Honestly…client payment is fine and hs always paid upfront fees…benchmark fees…and final bill. All payments are up-to-date. Not a [roblem. Part is I am a print designer who dabbles in web design and I am not a coding genius. They are upgrading their browsers and this is more of a problem with the parent company, not the individual practice. So, no worries on that front. As for the IE 5.5 fix…I have abandoned it and told the client so. They are fine with this approach.

Now, after running a browser check I noticed that IE 6 renders the site incoorectly. I know a little about these bugs, but again I'm no expert.

Here is IE 6

image.php.png

Now in updated version of IE

image-1.php.png

Now…if it worth fixing…what is the the IE fix?

Thanks.

• 9. Re: Spry Dropdown Menu Not Working in IE 5.5
                        bemdesign Level 4

http://css-tricks.com/482-ie-css-bugs-thatll-get-you-every-time/ - basically the  incorrect way IE6 calculates padding and margins is causing you grief. The link I provided also has techniquers on how to work around these issues.