7 Replies Latest reply on Aug 27, 2012 6:44 PM by the_wine_snob

When will portrait format rotate problem get fixed?

MGW of Boulder Level 1

A Slide Show generated in Organizer and output to Premiere Elements for video editing can still have problems with Protrait Format photos.

These photos have proper orrientation in both Organizer and the Slide Show when viewed in Orgaizer.  However, when the Slide Show is transfered to Premiere Elements for video editing and production, some Portrait Orrientation photos lose their proper orrientation and end up laying on their sides.

This problem appears to be camera specific.  My Canon SX230HS is an offender.  This problem can be avoided by using an edited version of the photo.  However, that is a pain if the photo does not otherwise require an edit.  I believe that in PSE/PrE Version 8, the problem could be corrected by a simple rotate left and rotate right sequence in Orgainzer.  However, that "work around" appears to have gone away with the PSE/PrE Version 9.

This problem is a real pain when producing a slide show containing photos from multiple cameras.  I would think that if PhotoShop Elements, Editor and Orgainzer are aware of Photo orrientation, then Premiere Elements could also have the same intelligence.

• 1. Re: When will portrait format rotate problem get fixed?
          the_wine_snob Level 9

What is seen in Organizer is only a display, with Rotation. Actual pixel Rotation has not been applied. The actual Image is still in horizontal format, until one does the actual Rotation in either PS/PSE, or via the Fixed Effect>Rotation in PrE.

The same is true in Adobe Bridge (the big-brother to Organizer, available with many of Adobe's suites, like CS 5.5 Production Premium). In Bridge, one CAN Rotate, and then Save the Image, over the original, and that Rotation is done at the pixel level, and is permanent. I use Bridge exclusively, so cannot tell you if Organizer allows one to first Rotate, and then Save that Rotated Image. Others will know Organizer much better, and can instruct you, if that capability exists there. Might be as easy as one-click?

Good luck,

Hunt

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: When will portrait format rotate problem get fixed?
            MGW of Boulder Level 1

Why do some Portrait Format photo move from Organizer Slide Show to Premiere Elements and retain their orientation and others do not?

• 3. Re: When will portrait format rotate problem get fixed?
              the_wine_snob Level 9

Only Images that have had pixel Rotation applied, and then Saved, will show the new orientation. Some cameras will do the pixel Rotation, and then Save, as will some software.

As PrE (and Organizer) are non-destructive programs, the original material is not altered, until the user makes those changes.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 4. Re: When will portrait format rotate problem get fixed?
                MGW of Boulder Level 1

Thanks, I think I understand. 

For photos from my Canon SX230HS, I must remember to run the protrait format photos through PSE Editor before I include them in a Slide Show that I intend to output to PrE for additional editing and output.

• 5. Re: When will portrait format rotate problem get fixed?
                  the_wine_snob Level 9

To permanently alter the Rotation of portrait Images, yes, that would be a good workflow.

I normally shoot in RAW (Nikon or Canon), and then process the Images in ACR (Adobe Camera Raw) through Photoshop. There, I will do the Rotation, and when I Save_As PSD, the Rotation is permanent. For users of Adobe Lightroom, the operation is the same. I assume that it will be the same with PSE, but have to admit that I have never used that program. Still, in most respects, it works just like its "big-brother," Photoshop. Now, I also use Adobe Bridge (big-brother to Organizer), and with that Save_As, it will handle the task of Rotation too.

One thing that I have never experimented with is the differences between doing the Rotation in an Image editing software, like PS, vs doing it with the Fixed Effect>Rotation in PrE, or PrPro. Based on the Scaling algorithms in PS vs PrE, or PrPro (up to CS 5), I would think that the Image editing software would be a bit better, but that is ONLY a guess on my part, and especially as the Rotation algorithms will be different than the Scaling algorithms. Maybe I need to do some control testing, though my workflow is set up to do the Rotation in ACR.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 6. Re: When will portrait format rotate problem get fixed?
                    glock88

Hi Bill,

I am using Premeire Elements 10 on an iMac. The portraits show in the correct orientation in both Photoshop and Lightroom, however when i import them into APreE 10 they are shown out of context where they are in landscape mode and not in the portrait. Any advice since they are showing correct in the other two programs, including bridge.

Sincerely,

Josh

• 7. Re: When will portrait format rotate problem get fixed?
                      the_wine_snob Level 9

As I have stated, in most programs, the metadata will show how to display the Images. In programs, like PrE, you need to actually adjust the pixels, not just the metadata. Until you change the pixels, an NLE (Non Linear Editor) will display the actual pixels.

Good luck,

Hunt