3 Replies Latest reply on Dec 1, 2011 8:41 AM by GlennBrunelli

Specific or "Discriminant" Text Wrap?

GlennBrunelli

I'm working on a project and have type inside of a circle.  I used the inverse word wrap tool to have the text inside the circle follow the contour of the circle.  Now I also want any text that is outside the circle, to wrap around it.  Is this possible?

Here's what I've tried:

Using two circles of different sizes, but the same color (to make it look like it's one circle) and applying the inverse word wrap to the circle with the text inside and applying a traditional text wrap to the other circle to affect the text outside.  When I do this though, the text outside wraps how I want, but the text inside disappears!  When I designate the text frame inside the circle to ignore text wraps, it ignores all of them, so it reappears, but doesn't conform to the contour of the circle how I'd like it to.

I guess my next question would be, is there a way to designate a text frame to ignore one text wrap rule, but follow another?

I know this might be confusing, so please feel free to ask questions.  I can even provide my files if necessary.

Any and all feedback is appreciated!

Thank you!

• 1. Re: Specific or "Discriminant" Text Wrap?
          Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

Inverse Word Wrap tool?

Are you saying you want the text to follow the path of the circle? You wouldn't need to do anything special to fill a a circle with normal lines of text...  Not sure if you mean a regular text wrap outside the circle, or text following the path on the outside, either.

You can set a text frame to either ignore or honor text wrap, but it's all or nothing using the checkbox in the frame options. If you go into the prefs and set wrap to only affect objects below you might get waht you want by adjusting the stacking order, but I sitll don't have a clue waht you are trying to do.

Screen shots might help.

• 2. Re: Specific or "Discriminant" Text Wrap?
            [Jongware] Most Valuable Participant

Perhaps it works if you group the first circle-plus-text.

Anyway, this is a quickie: all there is to it is to paste the text inside the circle, add some inset space, and apply a regular Text Wrap to the circle itself.

circle-type.PNG

• 3. Re: Specific or "Discriminant" Text Wrap?
              GlennBrunelli Level 1

Jongware, you hit the nail on the head!  that is the exact look I'm going for.

Peter, I'm sorry if my description was unclear, this was a difficult issue to explain.  My apologies for using the wrong terminology, by "inverse word wrap tool," I meant using the text wrap tool and checking the box for inverse.

In any case, the image that Jongware provided is the desired look I'd like to achieve.  I'll play around with this and Jongware, if I have any further questions, I'll post back here and direct to you.

Thanks again!

Glenn