4 Replies Latest reply on Dec 2, 2011 6:47 AM by Colin Flashman

TV Guide type of Grid?? Help?

Osglith

Greetings,

I have a Microsoft Excel workbook that has all my info for a time, day, channel, and show title. I need to do a TV Guide style grid. I know there is a way to automate this process, but I am stumped. Any suggestions? Thank You very much in advance for reading and any help.

• 1. Re: TV Guide type of Grid?? Help?
          Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

I'm not sure why placing the spreadsheet wouldn't be the way to go, but I don't really know how that is formatted. Does IT look like the listings you want?

• 2. Re: TV Guide type of Grid?? Help?
            [Jongware] Most Valuable Participant

If this is a once-off you might as well do all by hand.

If this is going to be a regular job (say, a weekly tv guide with a fixed layout), I'd personally export the data to XML and then use XSLT to properly pre-format everything.

• 3. Re: TV Guide type of Grid?? Help?
              Osglith Level 1

Hi, No sadly the excel spread sheet is no where near the format we need. I'll try and attach what we are trying to do. There are two channels (that is the different color backgrounds. We have four channels in total (that is one more tab in the Excel spreadsheet). This is a monthly publication, so we will be doing this every month.

Screen Shot 2011-12-01 at 10.34.42 AM.png

• 4. Re: TV Guide type of Grid?? Help?
                Colin Flashman Adobe Community Professional

the sample posted by the OP looks to me to be an indesign table just formatted nicely. it appears to be formatted manually (appears to be table and cell styles in use, as well as many merged cells for progs that are longer than half an hour).

it's a tough question because it is unclear what the excel file looks like, how the data was originally prepared prior to excel (e.g. the scheduling dept), how much lead time there is to format raw data into this table type format.

I'm with peter on this. i'd bring the excel file into indesign and format the tables based on table styles. if the table won't import from excel, try saving the excel file as an earlier version of excel (e.g. excel 97).