5 Replies Latest reply on Dec 6, 2011 5:01 PM by grandill

How do I make a title disappear in smoke or just vanish

grandill Level 1

Hello, I've searched for tutorials regarding this but couldn't find anything but how to make writing out of clouds and title appear from smoke. I want to make a title on a black backround disappear in smoke or vanish in smoke or smth like it. Does anybody know any tutorial that explains this? Also the writing shouldn't be from smoke or cloud or anything, just tipical font, but when it disappears it should disperse in smoke like it's flown away. I would really appreciate some help please!!!

Thanks!

• 1. Re: How do I make a title disappear in smoke or just vanish
          Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

There are about a zillion ways to do this. A quick Google Search brings up dozens of tutorials. Like this one, or this one, or . . .  If you want to look at video tutorials just click the word videos in the left column.

Some use 3rd party plug-ins, some use stock footage, some use displacement. The process usually involves displacement maps or turbulent displace, some blurring, and some smoke. Smoke can be generated with fractal noise, particle systems, stock footage, or simply filming some smoke against a black background.

Hope this helps. It's too complicated to put the entire process in a post.

• 2. Re: How do I make a title disappear in smoke or just vanish
            grandill Level 1

Well, I've search the same thing and didn't find what I was looking for. I need the writing to appear clear like a simple title, and then disperse into smoke and finally completely disappear. I think it can be made with trapcode particular but I don't know how to do it.

• 3. Re: How do I make a title disappear in smoke or just vanish
              Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Did you follow the links? The technique is pretty straightforward. All you need to do is set up a displacement map, then displace your text and blur a little bit. Then had little smoke. You can probably Google a tutorial that does exactly what you want as fast as I can. But either of the examples listed above will get you started. 

From my phone

• 4. Re: How do I make a title disappear in smoke or just vanish
                bogiesan Level 4

KNow anybody with an old copy of Apple's LiveType? There's an animated font called skywriter but there are several burngin and moking and sparking fonts that can do very cool vanishment effects.

"Not what I want" is someting we hear often around here and it puzzles us old timers. After Effects is where you dive in and work to create what you want by opening up a massive collection of incredibly rich (but difficult to master) tools. Creating text is easy. Applying a displacmetn map to the text is a bit more difficult because you ahve to know what that means, how to create the grayscale image, how to precompose.You can also use various distortion filters to accomplish different types of movement for text layers.

Then adding smoke is even more difficult because you either master one of the many particle systems and learn to make smoke or you shoot some smoke in a dark room with heavy backlighting and learn to composite that video onto your disappearing text.

1 person found this helpful
                • 5. Re: How do I make a title disappear in smoke or just vanish
                  grandill Level 1

This helped me, maybe it will help somebody else.  http://www.videocopilot.net/tutorials/smoke_trails/

1 person found this helpful