23 Replies Latest reply on Dec 6, 2011 3:15 PM by the_wine_snob

Missing Audio Faders (Audio Mixer)

TradeWind Level 3

Weird problem here...suddenly my audio faders have disappeared in the audio mixer. I can still make adjustments with the live text at the bottom of the faders, but the actual faders are gone.

Just noticed it today. Nothing has changed on my system in a while (software or hardware). Running CS5 (not 5.5).

Searched around and found no other people listing this issue yet. Anyone have an idea? Have tried restart, cold boot, and begging. Thought about a staredown, but I don't want to do anything too drastic if I don't have to.

• 1. Re: Missing Audio Faders (Audio Mixer)
          Colin Brougham Level 6

Whoa. Can you show a screenie of that?

• 2. Re: Missing Audio Faders (Audio Mixer)
            the_wine_snob Level 9

Christian,

When I encounter any GUI anomaly, the first thing that I check is my video driver. I've seen simple things, like OS updates wreck an older video driver.

Also, though not recently, there were some issues with various mouse drivers (mostly Inteli-Point, but also some Logitec Set-Point drivers), and GUI problems. Back with those (usually things like borders of Panels shimmering, or strobing), going to the generic mouse driver, until a new release of Inteli-Point, or Set-Point fixed things.

Just thinking here, and good luck,

Hunt

1 person found this helpful
            • 4. Re: Missing Audio Faders (Audio Mixer)
              TradeWind Level 3

Thanks Bill - haven't updated any drivers in a while, and I actually just did a Windows Update to see if it would shake things up a little bit, maybe knock some piece of code that needed knocking. I know, I'll try to tone down the technical verbiage a bit.

• 5. Re: Missing Audio Faders (Audio Mixer)
                the_wine_snob Level 9

Hey, when code needs "knocking," nothing else works quite so well - just be careful, if knocking with a large hammer...

Good luck, and hope that it's just a video driver issue.

Hunt

• 6. Re: Missing Audio Faders (Audio Mixer)
                  Colin Brougham Level 6

Well, that's just nutty. Did you try resetting your preferences? I think (never can remember) you hold down Shift and Alt while launching Pr to do that--I usually just dump them manually if something like that happens.

1 person found this helpful
                  • 7. Re: Missing Audio Faders (Audio Mixer)
                    TradeWind Level 3

Yeah, the prefs will be the next thing I try.

I usually rename the prefs, that way I have them in case that doesn't solve the problem...as opposed to just dumping them.

Thanks - I'll post back if that works.

• 8. Re: Missing Audio Faders (Audio Mixer)
                      the_wine_snob Level 9

Along those same lines, I would explore Resetting Workspace, if all else fails.

Good luck, and please keep us posted,

Hunt

• 9. Re: Missing Audio Faders (Audio Mixer)
                        TradeWind Level 3

Nope, prefs didn't help.

Great balls of fire...I forgot how dark my interface was. The default PPro setting looks like a supernova by comparison.

• 10. Re: Missing Audio Faders (Audio Mixer)
                          Jeff Bellune Adobe Community Professional

Do they show up in a new sequence or in a new project?  Did you try Hunt's suggestion to reset your workspace?  Does just changing workspaces help?

-Jeff

• 11. Re: Missing Audio Faders (Audio Mixer)
                            TradeWind Level 3

I did try changing workspaces and resetting workspaces at the very get go but no dice.

New sequences, new projects, nada.

I didn't have a project deadline today, so I guess I might as well just uninstall/reinstall.

Looking for the sarcasm tag....looking, looking....hrm, don't see it.

• 12. Re: Missing Audio Faders (Audio Mixer)
                              Jim_Simon Level 8

Try resizing the Mixer pane.  Drag it down to make it bigger.

• 13. Re: Missing Audio Faders (Audio Mixer)
                                TradeWind Level 3

Tried resizing/moving/closing the panel and no dice.

Pretty much resigned to uninstall/reinstall. Will be a shame...I've maintained a pretty good streak with PPro. This will be the first time since CS2 that I've had to do this.

Need a sign..."This workplace has gone 2,470 days without a reinstall." Of course, I'd be flipping that sign to "0" this weekend.

• 14. Re: Missing Audio Faders (Audio Mixer)
                                  Jeff Bellune Adobe Community Professional

If you didn't try it before, try holding the Shift key down and launching Pr from the Start Menu, and keep it pressed until the Welcome screen appears.  Shift resets your plugin cache.  (Sidebar: Alt resets your Preferences, which you've already tried).

Sorry if you knew this already and/or tried it already, but I'm throwing out last-gasp stuff to try to keep you from re-installing.  As much as *I* hate re-installing, I can't imagine you'd like it any better!

-Jeff

• 15. Re: Missing Audio Faders (Audio Mixer)
                                    the_wine_snob Level 9

Christian,

Good news: the weekend is almost upon you!

Bad news: you have emptied my "trick bag," and now there are only a few "lint bunnies" in it.

This is preplexing, but obviously more so for you. Sorry that I am out of ideas - other than the dreaded "uninstall/clean-script/reinstall," but then hey, that is the # 1 item on the Adobe T/S script, so it might be worth the effort. I'd put on a pot of coffee (decaf for obvious reasons), pull up the chair and tell family members that you'll see them later - hopefully not MUCH later.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 16. Re: Missing Audio Faders (Audio Mixer)
                                      Colin Brougham Level 6

One thing to try: can you actually grab the slider even though it's not there? If you click around a bit and drag, maybe the handles are actually there--that would suggest a display issue vs. a Pr issue specifically.

• 17. Re: Missing Audio Faders (Audio Mixer)
                                        TradeWind Level 3

Colin you read my mind. I went ahead this morning and installed some updated nvidia drivers just to see what (if anything) would happen. No dice.

So I thought....hrm, wonder if the sliders are even there at all? Sure enough, I can sling my cursor all over the screen (pardon my French) and there are no fader handles to be grabbed. Just. Aren't. There.

So it probably is a glitched piece of code somewhere, even more fuel to the "must reinstall" fire.

But I'll do it later....got a deadline today and everything is always easier when done tomorrow. Or tomorrow's tomorrow.

If I ever figure out what went wrong (unlikely), I'll post back. Thanks for everyone's help!

• 18. Re: Missing Audio Faders (Audio Mixer)
                                          Colin Brougham Level 6

Bummer, man. I wish one of the engineers could pop in here; you're right, and it's probably some DLL that got borked. It seems totally improbable that something in the Pr executable itself would have gotten smurfed to the point that a UI component disappeared.

• 19. Re: Missing Audio Faders (Audio Mixer)
                                            the_wine_snob Level 9

If Colin is correct, and he usually is, then before I undertook a complete uninstall/clean/reinstall, I would try a Repair Install first. If there is a corrupt .dll, or similar, that should take care of it, and maybe save your weekend for other things.

Good luck, and please report your success,

Hunt

• 20. Re: Missing Audio Faders (Audio Mixer)
                                              TradeWind Level 3

Well, the reinstall fixed it. Audio faders are back. Now it launched saying "no MPE available" so there's another fire to put out.

Okay, actually took me a few minutes to think that one through...since I did a base reinstall with the disc it took me to PPro 5.0.0 which didn't directly support the GTX 470, so the update will fix that one.

Thanks again for the help everybody.

• 21. Re: Missing Audio Faders (Audio Mixer)
                                                the_wine_snob Level 9

Christian,

I kept checking back, to see how it was going.

Obviously, you got it handled. Sorry that you had one "flaming hoop" (uninstall/reinstall) to deal with, but thanks for the update. We may never know what got smurfed, but so long as it's now working, that might be "as good as it gets."

Good luck, and thanks for the update,

Hunt

• 22. Re: Missing Audio Faders (Audio Mixer)
                                                  TradeWind Level 3

Yeah, I got it working, but something went seriously south with Encore. I've always had some issues with Encore not recognizing my Blu-ray burner (although it recognizes the DVD burner...which is the same physical device...but anyway). Recently, Encore started getting upset if I had a disc of any kind in the drive when I launched Encore. It would just park on "initializing transcoding" on the launch screen and do nothing. Best part is I couldn't kill the task, either, so I had to hard reset my machine whenever I forgot to empty the disc drive before launching.

Well, something else was messed up and it wasn't launching even after the reinstall, and after trying all the normal fixes for Encore and such, I just said "you know what...eff this, I'm just reinstalling the whole shebang."

So I'm in the middle of that right now. Not a biggie, I really keep only the Creative Suite and a few other software packs installed. Also gave me a chance to move up to Win7 SP1 while I'm at it. I had balked at moving to SP1 before when my system was just humming along.

Anyway, that's the final update on this string of issues. Like I said, the audio fader issue was solved by the reinstallation of PPro, but there must have been something else going on outside of Adobeland on my PC.

So thanks again for the help and concerns everybody. You know, I've always thought there's no better way to clean a house than to just burn it to the ground and rebuild it. That's sort of the way I'm approaching this scenario.

• 23. Re: Missing Audio Faders (Audio Mixer)
                                                    the_wine_snob Level 9

I've always thought there's no better way to clean a house than to just burn it to the ground and rebuild it.

My wife thinks that best housecleaning is to move every 5 years, and to just back up the Goodwill trucks, before you pack up!  Not sure which method is the most drastic.

As for the blank BD in the drive, that has been pretty common with En. Back in the DVD-only days, I do not recall that issue, so do not know if it's specific to BD, but now it does seem to be fairly common. Not sure what the issue is, but emptying the drawer of blank media does seem to be the "fix."

Good luck with your endeavor.

Hunt