9 Replies Latest reply on Dec 2, 2011 6:28 AM by E Diane King

Table cell rotated text line limits?

E Diane King Level 2

Is there some kind of undocumented limit to how much text can be rotated in a table cell?  I have text that fits when oriented the standard way, but if I rotate the text sideways, half of the cell remains empty and the text is overset no matter what I do with the cell margins. It also refuses to center the text within the cell when the text is sideways. All the rotated text cells cut the text off at 7 or 9 lines though there is half the cell open. I've run into this before and had to give up and reorient the entire table so the cells with the longer text were oriented the standard way--the one I'm working on now would be difficult to reorient, though, as it's mutlipage. I'm on CS5 on a Mac.

• 1. Re: Table cell rotated text line limits?
          Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

You aren't runing into a situation where the height of the cell is too short to accomodate the shortest non-breakable string at the sart of the next line, are you?

• 2. Re: Table cell rotated text line limits?
            E Diane King Level 2

Not sure I understand what you just said. The text fits just fine when oriented the standard way, but when I turn it on end, the cell develops an invisible margin that cuts the cell in half vertically. The text will not go past that invisible margin even if I change the alignment options (it aligns within the limited half of the cell) and I have my cell margins set to 0, so there shouldn't be anything preventing it from going further.

• 3. Re: Table cell rotated text line limits?
              E Diane King Level 2

The cell is wider than it is tall, so if you're saying that only the amount of lines that go the width will fit when turned on end even when there is room for more lines that direction, I would say that is a definite flaw in the feature--specially if it will not align the contents of the cell properly but creates an unsuable portion of the cell.

• 4. Re: Table cell rotated text line limits?

No, I'm saying that BECAUsE the cell is wider than it is tall it's easier to put text in normally, but as you rotate the column width is essentially being reduced, perhpas to the point where a long word that cannot break wil no longer fit. I might not be that. but I'd take a look.

• 5. Re: Table cell rotated text line limits?
                  E Diane King Level 2

No the text will fit the other way. None of the words are too long and nothing is set to "no break."

That was one of the first things I checked.  However, only 8 lines will fit the height of the cell when oriented the standard way. Turned sideways, I'm getting 7-9 lines per cell all scrunched to the left side of the cell and the right half of the cell is empty. Even if I allign to the right, the text only moves a fraction to the right and the right half of the cell stays empty. I've checked and rechecked all my margin values and there is no reason that I can see for the cell to invisibly divided.

I should say that I aligned to the bottom (rather than align to the right), same difference on the rotated cell.

Message was edited by: E Diane King

• 6. Re: Table cell rotated text line limits?

I think I need a screen shot, but in the meantime, copy all of the text that would be in the cell and paste into a regualr text frame that is as wide as the the cell is tall (excluding top and bottom insets) and as tall as the cell is wide, excluding insets (in other words, make a new frame the size of a rotated cell). Does the text fit?

• 7. Re: Table cell rotated text line limits?
                      E Diane King Level 2

OK, I'm posting a picture. The top row shows the overset text problem with a rotated text box set to the same dimensions and margins next to it. The row below has all the text because it fits within the invisible 7-9 line limit but it will not center in the cell. I included some of the table settings on the tool panel above the doc so you can see the settings. The margins aren't showing but they are the same as the text box shown on the right.Picture 1.png

• 8. Re: Table cell rotated text line limits?

OK, thanks for the screen shot.

I can reproduce this in CS5, and I think it's a bug. It looks like ID is calculating the number of lines required in normal orientation, then limiting the rotated text to the same number of lines.

I also tried rotating text direction in a frame before adding it, and that didn't work, either. If the cell starts out taller than it is wide, it works fine.

The bad news for you is that it looks like it was fixed in CS5.5, which means it isn't going to get back-ported to CS5.

1 person found this helpful
                        • 9. Re: Table cell rotated text line limits?
                          E Diane King Level 2

Thanks Peter,

Nice to know that I'm not imagining things, even if it turns out that there isn't a fix. I went ahead and duplicated the text box and put all the text in that column into text boxes and put them over the top of the table. That works for now. It just means I will have to manually change them if I have to resize the table rows for any reason. I'm supposed to be getting CS5.5 but I'm in the middle of a project that I'm working on with mutliple designers, and we can't afford to upgrade everyone at once, so I'm stuck in CS5.