4 Replies Latest reply on Dec 3, 2011 8:00 AM by John Hawkinson

Text Synchronization in CS4?

jendynda

I create brochure templates for a small company. I have several master pages within each of the templates. I would like to have the text synchronize from one master page to the other. That way a user can update the copy in the header on master page and all the other master pages update as well. I can do this if each of the masters is based on another one. But if I need to have one of the masters use a different paragraph style or be a different location than from the "based on" master page then the synchonization no longer works. Is there a way (without scripting or using variables - my end users aren't savvy enough for that) to have the text populate across the masters?

Thansk,

Jen

• 1. Re: Text Synchronization in CS4?
          Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

I think the fact that noone has come up with a good answer yet is probably strong evidence that a custom text variable is really the best solution. The only other thing I can think of is one more base master on which other base masters are built, but honestly, if your clients can handle editing a master page they can handle editing a variable.

• 2. Re: Text Synchronization in CS4?
            jendynda Level 1

Thanks for the reply. I was afraid the answer was text variables. My end users honestly can’t handle editing variables (they don’t understand style sheets, master pages, links, etc.). The few that can won’t navigate through nested dialogue boxes to edit them – even if it saved them time.

• 3. Re: Text Synchronization in CS4?
              Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

If you didn't need to style things differently you could plcae another document in that position. In CS5.5 you might be able to use linked stories, but in CS4 you're pretty much stuck.

• 4. Re: Text Synchronization in CS4?
                John Hawkinson Level 5

My end users honestly can’t handle editing variables (they don’t understand style sheets, master pages, links, etc.). The few that can won’t navigate through nested dialogue boxes to edit them – even if it saved them time.

Sounds like you're lucky they can handle master pages at all.

It sounds like you're going to have screenshots and instructions pasted onto the pasteboard of your document telling them what to do step-by-step. Maybe it's time to "upgrade" your users, though.

If you didn't need to use different paragraph styles, I'd suggest a linked InDesign Tagged Text file that your users could edit.

But that can't accomodate different paragraph styles.

Also, your users don't have to be very saavy to use scripting. It's just one double-click in the scripting panel to run a script.

Or, you can set your script up to add a menu item somewhere [anywhere you want! to any menu!] and then they just have to select it and run it...

Of course, you have to write (or otherwise get written) the script...