6 Replies Latest reply on Dec 4, 2011 8:22 PM by lucar10

Need advice to built my (1st) new system for Premiere CS5/Matrox

lucar10

Hi all!. I have been looking at this helpful site for sometime kind of to get an idea how to built my own (first) editing system. You guys are wonderful support for people like me with basic acknowledge of computers but anxious to learn from professionals like you. Thanks for all you do for us!!

As I said, I had (still do) in mind to built my own system in the meantime for Premiere CS5. My problems started when I purchased my Sony NX5U some months ago and my "old" computer started to pull my hears telling me that it needed a big change to handle the AvcHD files( I had to convert them into an avi_hd file to be able to work with them with my Matrox RTX2).

I do edit video on a regular basis with the RTX2 Matrox card and of course want a reliable, durable, fast and affordable system. I am planning to use the RTX2 card for 3 or 4 months and purchase later the Matrox MXO2 mini with max.

This is what I have in mind so far:

Intel i7 2600K or i7 2700K CPU

Asus P8P67 Deluxe Rev3 motherboard

C:\500gb hard drive ( I don't thing I would need a bigger hd? or should I go with SSD and what size?)

2 (1tb). D: 2 x Aid0, media & projects

2 (1Tb) E: 2 x Aid0, media cache, previews and exports

1 (1Tb) backup disk

16gb ram

GTX570 or GTX580

Blu-ray drives (2) - (I have already purchased a LiteOn IHBS112-29. Based on the reviews at Newegg looks good. I was forced to buy this asap because I am having problems burning DL-DVDs. The only brand that would work on my Pioneer DVD and LG BR burners are the Verbatim but I cannot find it with hub printable surface to match the other ones I use, and of course these are a lot more expensive. Any other brand to burn is a pain and coasters. I hope these LiteOn would work fine. I will install it sometime next week. Any suggetsions if these won't work in my quad core old system?)

Multi-memory card reader

What case?

850w power supply?

Please help me figure it out all the hardware I need to put together, and please be specific (if possible) with brand and model so it not could turn into an storm in a cup of water for me.

As I mentioned I am a person with basic level on computers but eager to learn. I just need to go to the right direction with the right directions which I am pretty sure I will get here. Any ideas or thoughts would be really appreciated. My son, who is at the college (computer staff) already put together his own computer and is willing to help me when he is back for vacation. I have said to him one thing is an student computer and another thing is a video editing system. Of course, I also need to make sure I understand all these things before we start on the project.

On the other side, does anyone recommend a place where to check for custom made video editing systems and to compare prices? My budget for this project is around $2,500. I do not think I could get any customized system for that money out there unless I built it myself.

Any comments will be appreciated.Thanks!!

Luis

• 1. Re: Need advice to built my (1st) new system for Premiere CS5/Matrox
          Harm Millaard Level 7

Click on the overview tab at the top of this forum. You will find a number of FAQ articles, that give you a lot of information.

Building yourself, with the help of your son, is of course significantly less expensive than from a builder.

Instead of a P67 mobo, consider a Z68 mobo, because of the SRT functionality. Leave out the Matrox and use it only for its designed purpose, as a doorstop. Case and power supply are covered in some of the articles mentioned above. The 580 may be a bit much, unless you intend to overclock a lot, otherwise the 570 is enough and saves some $$. Taiyo Yuden is another good brand of disks.

In general go for a big tower case. easy to install, good airflow and cable management and lots of expansion room. My favorite is Lian Li PC-A77.

This is not intended as a brush-off, but a lot of your questions are covered here in multiple threads and in light of your willingness to learn, I suggest you spend some time reading here.

• 2. Re: Need advice to built my (1st) new system for Premiere CS5/Matrox
            Bill Gehrke Adobe Community Professional & MVP

The best recommendation for a true NLE custom machine is ADK

I agree with Harm's comments above and do drop the Matrox

• 3. Re: Need advice to built my (1st) new system for Premiere CS5/Matrox
              Jim_Simon Level 9

The best advice I can give at this point would be to listen to Harm and Bill.  Lose the Matrox.

• 4. Re: Need advice to built my (1st) new system for Premiere CS5/Matrox
                lucar10 Level 1

Thanks for the responses. Really appreciated! I have spent some time before trying to understand the many situations that could be involved in building a new system, but sometimes I get lost because of my low acknowledge of computers. Most of the time it is very easy just to follow recommendations from people that really know what they do as a daily routine.

Anyway...this might help some people: I installed the LiteOn BR drive on my old quad core system and burned DVD+DL discs with no issue using a non Verbatin discs.

On the other side...could you please explain what do you mean with :"Leave out the Matrox and use it only for its designed purpose, as a doorstop....,loose or drop the Matrox"?

Do you mean to think on something different to capture/process the video other than Matrox?

Would you recommend another alternative? The only two products I have worked have been Matrox RTX2 and (years ago) Canopus Storm2.

Then Harm, when you say Z68, you are refering to he Asus motherboard P8Z68 DELUXE/GEN3?

Again, thanks for any comments. ANY IDEAS will be APPRECIATED!!

Luis

• 5. Re: Need advice to built my (1st) new system for Premiere CS5/Matrox
                  Bill Gehrke Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Regarding the Matrox, what are you capturing that you need the Matrox for?  Is it analog video?  Matrox drivers always seem to be a problem with Premiere especially with every new version of Premiere and on our Premiere Pro Bench Mark (PPBM5) they have a tendency to slow Premiere down.

• 6. Re: Need advice to built my (1st) new system for Premiere CS5/Matrox
                    lucar10 Level 1

Bill: I am basically recording from my Sony NX5U, coping the AVCHD files, convert them into avi HD files and edit them in Premiere. Not very often I may need to capture video from some customers tape to edit their video. Talking on my own duties I would say I may not need to capture video anymore, but I always had the impression that my system needs to have some card to easily manage the transcoding accelerattion / processing of the video (like Matrox does). So, what I can see now is that continuing using the Matrox hardware (and any other one) is not necessary anymore. I could see this happening since the newer computer techology and hardware have make computers so much faster now. I am right or wrong??

Thanks for your time to help me understand this!

Luis