10 Replies Latest reply on Jul 3, 2012 12:48 PM by the_wine_snob

I can't get Premier Elements 10 to import an AVI file from my computer.

lynaz59

I just bought Adobe Premier 10 two days ago, and I'm trying to import an AVI file from my computer.  It says Add Media Failure.  This type of file is not supported or the required codec is not installed.  The program installed all right, so I don't know what to do since I bought this software to create movies with the video from my camera, which is in AVI format.

• 1. Re: I can't get Premier Elements 10 to import an AVI file from my computer.
          John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Exact brand & model camera needed... also

Read Bill Hunt on a file type as WRAPPER http://forums.adobe.com/thread/440037

What is a CODEC... a Primer http://forums.adobe.com/thread/546811

What CODEC is INSIDE that file? http://forums.adobe.com/thread/440037

Report back with the codec details of your file, use the programs below

For PC http://www.headbands.com/gspot/ or http://mediainfo.sourceforge.net/en

For Mac http://mediainfo.massanti.com/

http://blogs.adobe.com/premiereprotraining/2011/02/red-yellow-and-green-render-bars.html

Once you know exactly what it is you are editing, report back with that information... and your project setting, and if there is a red line above the video in the timeline, which indicates a mismatch between video and project

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: I can't get Premier Elements 10 to import an AVI file from my computer.
            the_wine_snob Level 9

Welcome to the forum.

As John T. points out, saying "I have an AVI file," is akin to saying "I have a car." There can be so many differences, that "AVI" is virtually meaningless. Is that "car" a rusted out Yugo, or a new Mercedes Benz S-Class AMG?

It is what's inside the AVI that counts. In that "Wrapper" article, there are some free utilities, that will let you peek inside the wrappers. The info from them will be important.

My guess would be that the AVI contains the DivX, or Xvid CODEC. Next guess would be MJPEG, and then the last guess would be H.264 in the AVI wrapper (something that is becoming more common, and is creating problems).

Please let us know more, and we can likely tell you how to handle the files. First would be to install the proper CODEC, so long as it works with PrE, and next would be to convert to something else, that will work.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 3. Re: I can't get Premier Elements 10 to import an AVI file from my computer.
              lynaz59 Level 1

I just want to do what I've been doing for 4 years - make a movie with video stored on my computer.  I'm just going to use my other computer and Windows Movie Maker since I can import any video into that software and make movies.  This Adobe Premier will only let me import picture files, like .jpg, and I want to import any video - but it won't let me import any video.  I have made a lot of movies that are on You Tube with Windows Movie Maker, and I need to make this new movie now, so I will just use my old computer and that other software.  I'll call and ask someone in support in the future about how to use this brand new software when I have the time.  I'm just putting two little video files together to make a movie for some people.  Thanks for your help!

• 4. Re: I can't get Premier Elements 10 to import an AVI file from my computer.
                lynaz59 Level 1

An update:  I uninstalled and reinstalled Adobe Premiere Elements and I also installed Apple Quicktime, and it works fine now.  It was no big deal - I just needed to install Quicktime, and I used the wrong Content disk before, so that's why I uninstalled and reinstalled it since I saw in small print it was for MacOS, not Windows on the disc.  But, I already made the movie for a group of people on my other computer using Windows Movie Maker.  I've done graphic design work for years and am an artist, so I thought I'd try out Adobe Premiere since I love Adobe Photoshop!  I've taken the professional classes in college since I'm in the graphic design program.  I just got this on Cyber Monday really cheap and thought I'd try it, but no big deal if I don't use it; however, I did get it to work.  I've taken computers apart and installed so many things over the years with all the tech classes I've taken also, so I eventually get things to work by trial and error, lol!

Thanks again for trying to help me!

• 5. Re: I can't get Premier Elements 10 to import an AVI file from my computer.
                  Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

Thanks for reporting back, Lynaz.

People don't often take us seriously when we recommend updating Quicktime and video drivers -- but they fix the problem more often than not!

• 6. Re: I can't get Premier Elements 10 to import an AVI file from my computer.
                    ShutterDug Level 1

I have the same problem. The problem is new, as I have been using the same camera and the same software for may years with no problems before. G-spot reports that the AVI (MJPG) files have the correct codec intalled. Why then can't APE-10 load them and reports missing codec.

I have a similar issue with MOV files from a different camera. APE-10 loads them as audio files only. Quicktime is installed with its codecs, and is current.

Why would these problems occur now, after working fine for years, through many updates of APE since v.4?

I can convert them using ANY software, but it is an extreme inconvenience, especially with large, multiple clip movies. One would think that Adobe Premiere should have the codecs needed if not found in other software, no?

Thanks

DN

• 8. Re: I can't get Premier Elements 10 to import an AVI file from my computer.
                      the_wine_snob Level 9

DN,

This is probably a case of a different computer, or a different OS on the same computer, where the MJPEG CODEC is not installed, where it used to be. Or, it could be that though you have an MJPEG CODEC, the one in the file has been tweaked by the camera mfgr., to the point that the one you have, will not work with the files from that/those camera(s).

See the first link that John T. provided for more detail.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 9. Re: I can't get Premier Elements 10 to import an AVI file from my computer.
                        ShutterDug Level 1

Hi Bill, thanks for replying so quickly.

In review of your suggestions, I cannot see where these would be the answer. While I do use 2 computers, both have identical OS, APE-10, and Quicktime versions as well as camera software/drivers. I have not updated the camera firmware in some time, so I do not think this can be the issue, besides I have used both computers in the past few weeks, with no issues, until just recently. Perhaps it was a Win7 update that messed it up?

However, while waiting for a forum response, I did some further research and found a codec pack (windows.7.codec.pack v.4.03) on CNET. The description sounded exactly like the issues I am having so I downloaded and installed it. (I also converted the original AVI files to MPEG-2, just in case).

After the codec pack install, the AVI files loaded into APE and showed with no issues.

I have not yet tried the MOV files as they were not mentioned in the codec pack info, other than; 'and many more'. (one issue at a time!) I did download and installed the latest QT app (but it was the same version I had) so maybe there was something corrupt in the original. We shall see!

I cannot try it now as I am presently rendering the video, but if I still cannot load the full video MOV files, other than audio only, as old Arnie would say, "I'll be back!" (according to the APE estimate, about 1:12.

Thanks again for the assist. If it helps you in any way, I will check the box that says the reply fixed the problem! ('Was this Helpful?')

Doug

• 10. Re: I can't get Premier Elements 10 to import an AVI file from my computer.
                          the_wine_snob Level 9

found a codec pack (windows.7.codec.pack v.4.03) on CNET

Once, MS shipped and installed a great many CODEC's with their OS's. As of Vista, that changed. Some versions did contain more CODEC's, but other versions did not. With those "lesser" versions, one had to go to the MS Web site, and download the Vista CODEC's, in a pack.

In general, I am not a fan of CODEC "packs," as so many contain other "stuff," and some of that can be problematic. Also, many contain hacked, or reverse-engineered versions of good, commercial CODEC's, and they overwrite those, or at least change their priority. That is why Adobe "hides" their Adobe MainConcept CODEC's - so that they do NOT get overwritten, however, since some of those CODEC packs address Registry entires, and rewrite some of those, the priority is not safe.

So long as are now not having problems, you have probably added the necessary CODEC(s) for the files.

As for having the same version of an OS, I have Win XP-Pro SP3, on both my laptop and my workstation, and there are quite a few differences. As for MS CODEC's, they were the same.

Good luck,

Hunt