8 Replies Latest reply on Dec 4, 2011 2:09 AM by Yammer

Nifty little keyboard shortcuts

Yammer Level 4

I'm a big fan of keyboard shortcuts. For me, they are a lot faster than locating commands with a mouse. And, despite having a terrible memory, I seem to be able to remember most—especially the useful ones.

So, imagine my surprise when I learn that Alt-clicking Synchronize applies all settings without asking. Brilliant. I learned this from a book (CS5 for Photographers by Martin Evening—strong arm muscles required).

Whenever I see printed lists of keyboard shortcuts I seem to miss these little gems. Are they actually in the lists, or are there lots of hidden tricks I'm missing? Is there a complete list somewhere?

• 1. Re: Nifty little keyboard shortcuts
          Robert Shomler Level 4

There's a list in Photoshop Help but it does not appear to be complete (at least I could not find the alt-clicks for ACR's Select All, Synchronize, and Save Images).  Once in Camera Raw these shortcuts are revealed by tool tips -- hovering over these buttons (and many others).

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Nifty little keyboard shortcuts
            Bo LeBeau Level 4

Yammer,

I'm also a big fan of keyboard shortcuts, often I'm so used to these that when I attempt to demonstrate a procedure to someone and want to tell them the actual menu command I'm stumped since I don't use the menus for certain things, only the keyboard shortcuts.

The Option/Alt key has always been very helpful but people don't always remember what they do.

For example in the layers panel in Photoshop, clicking the new layer or group icons will just create these items, however if you hold the Option/Alt key while clicking these icons it gives you a change to name the layers.

With this key combo and clicking the layer icon you can also set:

• Color of the layer
            • The Blending Mode
            • The Opacity of the layer
            • Use Previous Layer to create Clipping Mask

Also, regular clicking the Mask icon creates a White Mask, while Option/Alt clicking the mask icon creates a Black Mask.

Modifier keys can also often change things in dialog boxes.

My favorite command in Camera Raw is pressing the "P" key to select/deselect the Preview checkbox (lightyears faster than using the mouse)

1 person found this helpful
            • 3. Re: Nifty little keyboard shortcuts
              Jeff Schewe Level 5

Not for nothing but I've done a pretty exhaustive inclusion of keyboard short cuts in the Real World Camera Raw series...and there are a LOT of keyboard shortcuts in ACR CS5.

And yes, the shortcut the OP mentioned is there...

• 4. Re: Nifty little keyboard shortcuts
                Yammer Level 4

For some bizarre reason, I've never noticed the tooltips before. Thanks.

• 5. Re: Nifty little keyboard shortcuts
                  Yammer Level 4

That's useful to know, Jeff. Thanks. However, I'm not sure it's worth buying your book AGAIN

• 6. Re: Nifty little keyboard shortcuts
                    Level 4

Yammer P wrote:

That's useful to know, Jeff…However, I'm not sure it's worth buying your book AGAIN

Buying a book is not enough, you have to read it too.  Perhaps this is a good time for you to tackle it. 

• 7. Re: Nifty little keyboard shortcuts
                      Robert Shomler Level 4

Yammer P wrote:

That's useful to know, Jeff. Thanks. However, I'm not sure it's worth buying your book AGAIN

May not need newest book; these shortcuts are in his cs4 book.

• 8. Re: Nifty little keyboard shortcuts
                        Yammer Level 4

I think mine is the CS3 book. However, Tai Lao has a point, and maybe I should blow off the dust. Maybe I can sell it at my local camera club, and fund the purchase of the new one.