4 Replies Latest reply on Dec 2, 2011 11:54 AM by marian.ene

.MP4 to .AVI on a Mac?

zer0hvk

Hey everyone!

I have a question that will probably seem really simple to all of you, but, I'm having a bit of trouble with this.

I've always exported from After Effects and used the Adobe Media Encoder to compress the movie to .mp4 with little quality loss, but now, I'm being asked to give them .avi files. I'm wotking on a Mac, by the way.

Can any of you guys recommend me any way to go about this? To convert from .MOV or .MP4 to .AVI?

I tried 4Media MP4 Converter 6 but it completely changes the quality of the colors.

If you have any free and effective options, it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks a lot for all your help!!

• 1. Re: .MP4 to .AVI on a Mac?
          Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Several 3rd party tools out there. I tried this one recently.

• 2. Re: .MP4 to .AVI on a Mac?
            zer0hvk Level 1

Wow, thanks a lot! I'll have to try it out!

I completely forgot to mention that I convert it to MP4 in Adobe Media Encoder to compress it, keep its file-size down. So if you have any idea of an effective MP4 to AVI converter, I'd really appreciate it!

• 3. Re: .MP4 to .AVI on a Mac?
              Dave LaRonde Level 6

zer0hvk wrote:

I convert it to MP4 in Adobe Media Encoder to compress it, keep its file-size down. So if you have any idea of an effective MP4 to AVI converter, I'd really appreciate it!

AVI's don't really lend themselves to small file sizes if you want them to look good.  You have to think about WHY you're making an AVI.  Who's going to use it?  What software will use it? 

If you need more storage for delivery, get it.  Storage is cheap, and you can't re-invent image quality once it's gone.

• 4. Re: .MP4 to .AVI on a Mac?
                marian.ene Level 2

Media Encoder for Mac doesn't have Microsoft AVI or Uncompressed Microsoft AVI as output format?

I'm on Win and I have these formats available, but can only use VfW codecs, no DirectShow. But this doesn't apply to Macs, no VfW or DS there.