5 Replies Latest reply on Dec 3, 2011 3:12 AM by Peter Spier

Custom Page Size Question

SIcsempertyrannis Level 1

If I choose one of the fly-out "edit page size options" at the bottom of the pages palette, such as compact disc or business card, why does the page size still say 8.1/2 x 11 if I go to--> "document set-up"? Is there a way that you can tell the actual size of the card or disc short of drawing a text or pic box? Also- if I have a document that is supposed to be several 8.1/2 x11 pages, and one page is set up at 7x11. Is there a way to find that out w/o weeding thru the entire doc? I cant find anything in Preflight that clues you in on that. Thanks for any input on this.

• 1. Re: Custom Page Size Question
          Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

Since the ability to have multiple page sizes included in a single .indd file was added, this is a source of confusion. The document size is set in document setup, but individual pages can be altered using the page tool (which has no effect onthe document setup as a whole). Think of it as a document is made of pages...

• 2. Re: Custom Page Size Question
            SIcsempertyrannis Level 1

Yes, it's confusing to me. Because if someone creates a new document at 8.5 x 11 and then they change it to bus card size or some custom size, and I receive the file and have to check the document size, it still says 8.5 x 11 under Document Set-Up. How would I confirm the size? Am I always going to have to check in the fly-out, in the pages pallet?

• 3. Re: Custom Page Size Question

Look at the rulers? Sometimes I draw an empty frame and read the size in the Control Panel to figure out how large something is.

• 4. Re: Custom Page Size Question
                woopit Level 1

Yeah-that's the route I would take, too. But, I think that's crazy. Yet another thing to be on the look out for when checking files! Thank you for your replies, Peter.

• 5. Re: Custom Page Size Question

When first added, I thought multiple page sizes would be a great addition for doing things like book jackets (for easily adjusting the spine) and Letterhead, Envelope and Business Card packages (for easy organization) but after seeing it in action I've pretty much decided there is no particular advantage, and quite a few drawbacks, in a print output workflow. It makes more sense, perhaps, in a workflow intended for mobile devices, paricularly something that needs two orientations of the same page for those who want to rotate their tablet screen, and I suspect it was envisioned as part of the apparent push to move ID into the new realm of digital publishing.