4 Replies Latest reply on Apr 18, 2017 4:18 AM by Cri85

Anyone use NexusFont?

pleroma33

Hello,

I just downlodaded NexusFont and spent a few hours catagorizing all of my fonts.  I then opened up InDesign to see if there was any change in the way the fonts were organised there, but no change.  Is there any possible integration between these programs?  What is the best way to use a font manager?  Thanks for any help!

• 1. Re: Anyone use NexusFont?
          AJDesignCo Level 1

I have used NexusFont for a few weeks. I have noticed that it does function as billed in that fonts that are added to NexusFont but that are not actually installed in Windows do indeed show up as available in my applications (including InDesign and Illustrator). But I have also noticed that the sort order of the fonts is strange, not even alphabetical. I have no help, only empathy. I think it is a decent program for a free application. But I bet that FontExplorer X Pro or Suitcase Fusion 3 (by Extensis) will be even better, probably worth the money. It depends on how much time you spend sifting through fonts vs. actually designing. Hope that helps.

One workaround/coping mechanism would be to use tags or folders to classify fonts and then use NexusFont to brows them. Then hop over to InDesign and select the font from the list by name (even if you have to type the name in).

And if anyone knows ways to make NexusFont more useful, do tell. Thanks!

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Anyone use NexusFont?
            John Hawkinson Level 5

But I bet that FontExplorer X Pro or Suitcase Fusion 3 (by Extensis) will be even better, probably worth the money. It depends on how much time you spend sifting through fonts vs. actually designing. Hope that helps.

Just keep in mind that the fancier the program, the more danger there is for serious problems. At least on the Mac, there have been quite a lot of complaints about bizarre hangs of InDesign that have ended up being related to autoactivation plugins associated with Suitcase Fusion. So tighter integration isn't always the win that you would hope for.

It seems odd to me that ID would ever present fonts out of order alphabetically, but I guess I don't know enough about how that stuff works.

• 3. Re: Anyone use NexusFont?
              Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

John Hawkinson wrote:

It seems odd to me that ID would ever present fonts out of order alphabetically, but I guess I don't know enough about how that stuff works.

It sometimes "appears" that fonts are listed out of order on Windows (no idea if the same itrue for Mac) because I think ID is using one of the internal font name fields, and somtimes that results in the font being listed under the foundry name first, as in ITC Franklin Gothic Std (which is listed in the "F" fonts right after Franklin Gothic Std, a different font, on my system), and Eras Bold ITC, also an ITC font listed with other fonts that start with "E". Those that list the foundry name first tend to be grouped in alphabetical order with the family name rather than the foundry name.

• 4. Re: Anyone use NexusFont?
                Cri85

You need to have all font in a fast disk (SSD is better)

You must add a folder in Nexus Font, in which you can have multiple folders if you have many fonts from different sources.

(Click "+" and select Add folder, select the main folder that contain all of your fonts)

When you open Nexus Font it load the root folder, (2-3 seconds to load 2000-3000 fonts if you are on ssd).

Now you can write the name of the font thatyou want to use InDesign or other software, they can be load even if it are not installed.

[link removed by moderator]

1 person found this helpful