5 Replies Latest reply on Dec 14, 2011 6:55 AM by FM_Flame

How do I develop and test the flex mobile application without the actual device?

FM_Flame Level 1

I'm currently reading some information about this but decided to also ask here.

I have a project which a company want me to develop, it is for iPad. That's ok I am good with Flex and the framework for web development but not for mobile. Why? Because I have no idea how to test my application. I know there is build it sort of desktop version of the application with back button change of orientation stuff, but how do I know my application will look and work exactly the same (I do NOT talk about performance here). I mean you know how every device android or iOS have their native keyboard or native video player for example and I don't have that in the debugger version of the application.

The question Is how do I develop this application relying on the desktop emulator or whatever it is and then hope that my app looks and works on a device as it should... Of course I can't afford to buy every device there is just to be able to test on it when required ?? So how do I do that, how do I test how my iPad application works on a device without having one ? I know I should get some licence for iOS dev in order to be able to package the application for iOS but that's 99$ per year or something like that which I can manage, but how do I test my application without buying the damn device? Is there any emulator for iPad or something like that so that I know what my clients will see when they get the application ? A friend of mine told me that the the mac os x developers use a tool - some dev kit that has emulators for all iOS devices and that you can build and test there right away and that you can pretty much simulate all touch combinations for example and he said that it works and looks 1:1 as the actual device but he wasn't sure if I can export an AIR app and test it like that cause he only knew for app written in native code.

So can someone just tell me how do I do that ? Should I buy a mac os x laptop in order to test since I am a windows 7 user or maybe create a mac os x virtual machine and test there or maybe the only option is to actually buy the device... which would be terrible for a freelancer...

I hope someone can save the day here! Thanks.

F

• 1. Re: How do I develop and test the flex mobile application without the actual device?
          DonMitchinson Level 2

You don't say what you're using to develop your app. Is it just Flex/eclipse or do you have FlashBuilder?

FlashBuilder makes it a lot easier from my experience

In any case I'd suggest starting with the great big help file first:

Developing Mobile Applications with ADOBE FLEX and ADOBE FLASH BUILDER

http://help.adobe.com/en_US/flex/mobileapps/developing_mobile_apps_flex.pdf

From their manual..

To set device configurations, open Preferences and select Flash Builder > Device Configurations.

Flash Builder provides several default device configurations. You can add, edit, or remove additional device configurations. You cannot modify the default configurations that Flash Builder provides.

• 2. Re: How do I develop and test the flex mobile application without the actual device?
            drkstr_1 Level 4

Ask the company you're working for to buy you a device for testing. Better yet, a few different devices. It's a small price to pay compared to the cost of developing quality software.

• 3. Re: How do I develop and test the flex mobile application without the actual device?
              FM_Flame Level 1

Hi guys, thanks for the replys.

This was refered to Flash Builder 4.5

I know there is build it sort of desktop version of the application with back button change of orientation stuff, but how do I know my application will look and work exactly the same (I do NOT talk about performance here). I mean you know how every device android or iOS have their native keyboard or native video player for example and I don't have that in the debugger version of the application.

My point here is that you can't really picture how will your app look and work on a particular device with this. You can still develop it there but in the end you gonna have to test it fully somewhere.

Asking a company for which you are going to freelance for a simple mobile project which is half the cost of the actual device -> you won't take the job. Someone else with the device bought will get it. Unless of course there is some way for me to test things without buying every single device that pops out on the market every year... That's why I am asking here if there is a way... For example I can buy a mac os x as I explained above in order to test my AIR app on the emulators for every iOS device there is, but that means I will give that cash once for the next 5 years since the mac os x will update and I will still have emulators for all the newest devices without the need of buying them. That is of course if I can test my AIR apps in these emulators and I don't know that for sure... If you know anything please share some info...

• 4. Re: How do I develop and test the flex mobile application without the actual device?
                Shongrunden Adobe Employee

Since AIR for iOS applications are compiled down to ARM code you won't be able to run them on iOS emulators running on Mac OSX.

You can do really simple testing with the "simulator" built in to Flash Builder, but that isn't much more than an AIR window with a window size that matches the chosen iOS device's resolution.  When running in this simulator the application is not compiled down to ARM code so it will take a completely different code path than what the final iOS output will do.

In the end if you are developing for iOS with AIR there is no substitute for testing on actual iOS devices.

• 5. Re: How do I develop and test the flex mobile application without the actual device?
                  FM_Flame Level 1

I am very grateful for that clarification... saved me a lot of time! Thanks a lot!