6 Replies Latest reply on Aug 19, 2014 1:01 PM by Bird™

AE stops rendering

palinkasocsi Level 1

Dear Forum Users,

I am using AE CS5. My problem is that AE stops rendering always at exactly the same point (3.8 GB of raw uncompressed .avi). Does anone have a clue how to fix it? I have 147 GB of free space on the HD, so space could not be a problem.

Thank you.

Pal

• 1. Re: AE stops rendering
          Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

It's a limitation in some legacy file formats - files cannot be larger than 4GB. Could also be that your drive is formatted with FAT32, which would pretty much result in teh same thing. Simply work with file segmenation and let AE create multiple files, use otehr CoDecs or image sequences...

Mylenium

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: AE stops rendering
            palinkasocsi Level 1

Thanks Mylenium.

My HD is formatted with NTFS. Could you please tell me how to work with file segmentation/multiple files? I do not want to apply codecs, since I convert the . avi in AME.

Thank you.

Pal

• 3. Re: AE stops rendering
              palinkasocsi Level 1

It doesn't work. If I split the composition, render stops at exactly the same point. Strange, since nothing complicated editing  has been done there.

Pal

• 4. Re: AE stops rendering
                Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

If that's the case, then I recommend you check the source footage. Damaged source files can make renders stop or crash. Also look whether at the given point you are starting to apply an effect that you are not using before. If so, disable it and see if it makes a difference.

Mylenium

• 5. Re: AE stops rendering
                  palinkasocsi Level 1

Yes. It was a camera setting. I scaled it down and now everything works out just fine.

Thank you for your help.

Pal

• 6. Re: AE stops rendering
                    Bird™ Level 1

DITTO.

I've had this occasional problem over the last 7 years working in AE. It usually only happens when you REALLY need to get a render out for a client I call them "Skanky Frames".  I don't know why they happen.  You PURGE Disk cache and memory then you use the SECRET MENU to purge every few frames during render but no avail.

Today's Skanky Frame consisted of two shape layers which were somehow corrupting the render which was exiting far before it finished but it wasn't crashing or reporting the happy sound.  I even tried apssing it to Media Encoder but I GOT THE SHEEP SOUND!  Which I kinda find funny.

So I matched the last frame of the render with the timeline then went forward one frame to find the Skanky Frame.  I always usually blame Optical Flares or FORM so was very suprised when it was two Shape layers which were causing the problem.

• Luckily! A black frame appeared at the error so the solution today was to go through and mute each active layer until I found the culprits and then pre-composing them worked, for some weird reason that I shall never know. 

• Previously it was camera error: so we made a new camera and null and pasted the move data on to the new one. That worked. 

• Also video file that was a nasty AVI which I had missed.  Transcoded to ProResLT and it worked again, too.

I just heard the HappySound.  Thanks for the good help here, peeps.