5 Replies Latest reply on Dec 5, 2011 12:51 PM by Petteri_Paananen

Exporting documents for Ipad...

KevinC39

Hello,

Okay, so I am making a book for Ipad.  I'm having a lot of problems with the epub format, so I'd rather export my file in SWF format and then convert the SWF to a format that Ipad can read.  Does anyone have any suggestions or ideas for how to do this or what tool to use...or...a better way to export my document.  I can't make any headway with the epub format.  My document just gets all jumbled up and the pictures get all jacked up (even though they are one piece in the document), so...do you guys have a better solution? Please help if you have delt with this sort of thing before.

• 1. Re: Exporting documents for Ipad...
          Petteri_Paananen Level 4

I´m quite sure there is no such converter which could convert SWF exported from InDesign to any format accepted by iOS devices.

You might be interested in new eDocker Tablet Publisher, with it you can convert your InDesign layout to html5-ipad-webapp in few minutes. If you have iPad, check out this sample (it actually works in comupters too, but you get better idea with iPad):

http://www.edocker.com/sample_p

You will find a short broschure about eDocker from

http://www.edocker.com/edTPpres_eng.pdf

It´s already in "early bird" sale.

If you are ready to purchase, go to our secure web-shop:

http://www.edocker.com/download/buy-now/edtp/

We also have a free 3-days fully functional trial. You will find instructions how to get it from that same page.

Official international release is on few weeks. New website will be open then as well.

• 2. Re: Exporting documents for Ipad...
            [Jongware] Most Valuable Participant

Interesting, Petteri. Works very smooth.

For the iPad deprived: here is a quick screenshot from one of your sample pages.

photo.PNG

• 3. Re: Exporting documents for Ipad...
              Petteri_Paananen Level 4

Thanks [Jongware]...=)

It works even better after you have installed/added it to homescreen.... it goes to fullscreen mode that way (no address bar or page tabs are shown then)...

• 4. Re: Exporting documents for Ipad...
                Laubender Adobe Community Professional & MVP

@Petteri:

thank you. Very interesting…

(I'm a little OT here) Nevertheless:

I'm curious about the web-app mode. In your sample, which is running in my browser (FireFox 8.0.1) on my MacBook Pro, you state on page 2: "You see this bar only in web-app mode!" (shown inside the red bar at the bottom of the page) together with "Does your page end here? If it does, you are using Safari, not web-app mode!" above.

What does that mean? Am I NOT supposed to see that red bar, because I'm using a browser on my MacBook? In both cases (Safari 5.1.2 and Firefox 8.0.1) on Mac OS X 10.6.8 I'm able to see it.

After thinking about this: maybe you mean "Safari" on iPad cannot show the red bar. Cannot verify this because I do not own an iPad…

And if I'm at it:

fine print is a bit blurry and a bit difficult to read. I tried zooming in, but something's wrong with zooming the page in the browser. Navigation will zoom, contents and iPad simulation frame will not…

Wow! Swiping is very smooth…

Uwe

• 5. Re: Exporting documents for Ipad...
                  Petteri_Paananen Level 4

Yes, good point, that really should be iPad´s Safari... if you use computer for viewing that web-app, you will see a fall-back version that has been created for computer users. And in that case it has been generated from same document that has been used for iPad version... and it´s designed for iPad, so probably will meet some compromizes if you use computer.

If you would like to be really pro, you probably would create iPad version and computer version from slightly different documents and with different settings. That´s possible with eDocker too. With this sample we wanted to show what happens if you use exactky same document for creating both version.

Content of that app is for iPad users, including those red bar markups etc.....