System:

Windows 7 64bit

Intel I7 960

6GB Ram

ATI HD 5870

Adobe After Effects:

Version 10.5.0.253

OpenGL : Off

If I insert CC Lens and when playing a preview or sometimes editing keyframes, my computer freezes.

Please help me, I despair

• 1. Re: Computer Freezes
          Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

What footage is used? Does the same composition freeze when applying other effects?

Mylenium

• 2. Re: Computer Freezes
            benzinerfahrer Level 1

Footage is Call of Duty 4 ingame scene.

It freezes when I preview a scene.

But it worked sometimes today ...

• 3. Re: Computer Freezes
              Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I take it you have a screen capture? What codec is the footage? What size? What drive is used? If it's the boot drive that you are storing video on, and your drive is full or fragmented, then intermittent playback problems are to be expected.

• 4. Re: Computer Freezes
                benzinerfahrer Level 1

codec is .avi with +/- 4gb.

Drive is D:

600gb of 900gb is free

• 5. Re: Computer Freezes

I don't know what .avi means. It could be anything from uncompressed to mpeg. Do you know the data rate?

• 6. Re: Computer Freezes
                    benzinerfahrer Level 1

.avi = Audio Video Interleave.

3,98 GB (4.282.768.090 Bytes)

I recorded the scene ingame to many screenshots. Then opened the screenshots in Virtual Dub and rendered it to a Video. For compression I used Lagarith Lossless Video Codec.

• 7. Re: Computer Freezes
                      marian.ene Level 2

I'm pretty sure Rick knows what AVI stands for and I bet he was asking about the codec used (Lagarith in your case).

Never used this codec (actually, I rarely use AVI files), so I can't tell if it's faulty or not. But it's a good starting point, convert your footage to a different codec, maybe even use QuickTIme instead of AVI, see if you still get the freezes.

For future reference:

- AVI, like QuickTime (.mov) is a container or wrapper for a video file, and the video can be encoded in many (and I mean MANY) codecs

- Lagarith or Xvid or DNxHD are codecs

- datarate is measured in MB/s or Mbps, it's not the file size.

One more thing: if you took screenshots from the game, why didn't you bring those into AE, instead of going through VirtualDub?

• 8. Re: Computer Freezes

Marian.ene is right. I know what avi stands for, but what's the codec? If it's uncompressed it won't take much for AE to grab the frames and deliver them to the composition, if they are heavily compressed mpeg then the CPU will be churning away very hard to try and deliver up the frames to AE.

On the other hand, an uncompressed avi at full HD frame size will have a data rate that all but the fastest drive arrays will choke on for real time playback. MPEG based AVI's on the other hand playback smoothly because mpeg is, for the most part, a delivery codec, uncompressed is a production codec.

• 9. Re: Computer Freezes
                          benzinerfahrer Level 1

the codec is Lagarith Lossless Video Codec

Data Rate is 2453180 kBit/s

250 fps

• 10. Re: Computer Freezes
                            Dave LaRonde Level 6

Two hundred and fifty frames a second?  Are you sure? 

What sort of device is capable of playing back at such a high frame rate?

Considering AE's maximum frame rate is 99 fps, and considering the maximum frame rate for HD television is 59.94 fps, it sounds like overkill to me.  The only reason to do it: slow motion.

• 11. Re: Computer Freezes
                              TimeRemapper Level 4

Yeah, the 250 fps is probably causing woes. Only high-end gaming PC rigs can throw out ridiculous frame rates like that. Why not just import the image sequence into AE?

• 12. Re: Computer Freezes

How did you capture this footage? If it's a screen capture I seriously doubt it's faster than 30 fps. If you took the video output of a gaming console directly to a video recorder it's also a max of 30 fps. Either way, there's no system that I know of that will fit on a desktop that will play back full frame HD at 250 FPS.

There's still one unanswered question. What's the frame size? 1920 X 1080? Larger? Smaller?

• 13. Re: Computer Freezes
                                  benzinerfahrer Level 1

I record the footage ingame with avidemo. It is an program for cod4 which makes screenshots. You can choose how many screenshots do you want. I chose 250. Then I put the Screenshots in Vdub. Chose 250 fps and Lagarith Codec.

Then i put the .avi into AE and edit it and after that i put it in Vegas and choose 50fps.

When i choose for recording just 100 fps, then the quality sucks. Th

The frame size is 1280x720

• 14. Re: Computer Freezes
                                    Dave LaRonde Level 6

Time to record again, this time at 50fps.  You won't gain anything by recording at a higher frame rate.

• 15. Re: Computer Freezes
                                      benzinerfahrer Level 1

I can try that i firstly put the .avi in Sony Vegas and choose 50 fps and then put it in AE

• 16. Re: Computer Freezes

I expect that you got 250 frames, not 250 frames per second. I can't imagine a screen capture program that ould capture 250 frames per second. The hard drives are simply not fast enough.

• 17. Re: Computer Freezes
                                          benzinerfahrer Level 1

I have 5000 screenshots in my Folder and the Clip is 20 seconds long

• 18. Re: Computer Freezes

5000 files in an image sequence?

You only recorded 20 seconds of game play?

That's amazing. That's an amazing amount of processing in a short amount of time.

You can set the frame rate interpretation up to 99 fps in AE.  Drag the image sequence into AE and the comp would be 50 seconds long. Render for YouTube using AME and the clip will still be 50 seconds long unless you change interpretation in AE.

Interpret the 5000 frame image sequence at 29.97, drag it into a new comp and your composition will be 166 seconds (2 minutes 40 seconds). If you're original game play was only 20 seconds then you've go a nice slow mo.

• 19. Re: Computer Freezes
                                              benzinerfahrer Level 1

That's why I put the screenshots in VirtualDub.

• 20. Re: Computer Freezes
                                                Dave LaRonde Level 6

benzinerfahrer wrote:

That's why I put the screenshots in VirtualDub.

Okay, then put that software to work for you: have it make 50 fps movies, then bring them into AE. 

A ridiculously-high frame rate such as you first captured makes NO difference in image quality.  It just makes things more difficult.

I also get the impression you're new to AE, so basic information would be extremely valuable.  You'll find it here:

http://blogs.adobe.com/toddkopriva/2010/01/getting-started-with-after-eff.html

It's not too tough to learn how to insert a table in a Microsoft Word document just by using the Help section.  You might even be able to do it intuitively.  But this is After Effects, and it demands a thorough knowledge of the basics.  If you ignore the basics, you will become confused and frustrated... as you are now learning.

• 21. Re: Computer Freezes
                                                  benzinerfahrer Level 1

When I record it with 250fps then the video is a lot smoother

• 22. Re: Computer Freezes
                                                    Dave LaRonde Level 6

Dude, that's overkill.  250fps is unnecessary.  Furthermore, AE can't even deal with that frame rate!  The closest it comes is 99fps, which is a lot less than half of that.  Why? because there isn't a common video playback device that plays faster than 59.94 fps.  I take it you're in a PAL country: the fastest frame rate there is 50 fps.

If you think you're going to get anything to play back smoothly at 250 fps, you're living in a dream world.